Passmark 5.x/6.x and 32 bit vs. 64 bit OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passmark 5.x/6.x and 32 bit vs. 64 bit OS

I am a current user of PassMark 5.3, but now need the ability to test high-end server/workstation motherboards that are 64 bit based. x86 Xeon's mostly.

I am planning on upgrading to PassMark BurnInTest 6.x but does anyone have any recommendations on what the best Windows OS to use for the test platform ?
    - Windows 2003 Server, 2008 Server or Windows XP 64 bit ??
    - Vista ?

Thanks, Bill

If you have a large number of CPUs then you need to use the Server software. For example, Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition supports up to 8 CPUs.

Otherwise I would use Vista 64bit, or use the O/S that the final users will use. This way you can pick up possible device driver faults as well.

V6 of BurnInTest is better for Vista than V5. But V5 will still run. You also need to make sure you have the 64bit download of BurnInTest.

Comment

RE: Passmark 5.x/6.x and 32 bit vs. 64 bit OS

Hi Ian,

Right now I am working on a project that uses Intel Xeon nocona CPU's
      with a 800Mhz FSB and they actually show up as 4 CPU's. (These CPU's
      have a virtual CPU instead of the Pentium dual-core type as far as I know)
      So with 1 -4 CPU's is Vista still a good fit for me or should I go with Windows Server 2003 ?
      Also, I need to support up to 16GB DRAM memory ...

Also, if Vista is the preferred platform, which version do I select ?
      - Home basic, Home Premium, Business or Ultimate ?

Thanks for the advice, Bill

Comment

According to Microsoft, Vista home basic only supports 8GB. So you need Home Premium or above.

Vista Ultimate supports 128GB of RAM.

Comment

Working...
        X