Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having troubling interpreting memtest results...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having troubling interpreting memtest results...

I ran memtest last night with 2 new 8GB RAM modules (on a new linux machine). In the morning, I saw the summary screen and do not understand the results. I think these are the relevant results:
    In the line with Time, Iterations, etc.: Pass: 6 Errors: 0

So, I thought this meant I have no errors, but below this I have:
    Error Confidence Value: 172,
    Entries for both lower and higher error address,
    Bits in error - total: 32 Min: 1 Max: 31 Avg: 5
    Max Contiguous Errors: 2

Then, in the Test and Error columns on the right-hand side, each test except 8 has a zero in the error column. Next to test 8 in the error column, the numbers 0-32767 scroll quickly scroll through.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Looks very similar to my first set of results (see very recent thread below). It said 'errors 0' and then the additional set of data below with a few 'max contiguous errors', and same massive number on the right scrolling through.

Not easy to interpret...

Comment

mem-noob: I re-ran and got through 9 passes without any errors, so I think I am good. Hope you got yours figured out.

Comment

We've confirmed there are some bugs when the error count gets too high. The error count for the individual tests is capped at ~32,000. Once it reaches this it loops back to 0. Additionally if there is a mass of errors in a small section of a test the overall error count won't update until that section of the test is finished, which is slowed down significantly by all the errors. There is also a bug with the 'max continuous errors display', making it unreliable. We'll correct these issues in a future release.

If there are errors listed for individual tests on the right then there definitely are errors occurring.

Update: These bugs in MemTest86 were fixed in release V4.2, 19/March/2013

Comment

okay, understood. Mine did have errors, then, despite not showing up on my second test. This was already pointed out by David anyway.

Looks like it's the same for etdoughe because he/ she did have the mass of errors on the right, just like me, during their first test.

Comment

Working...
          X