Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rishton52
    replied
    2 folders, 1 PDF. Folders expanded to show what's in them. Windows folder just one .tar.gz file. syslinux 4 files.

Click image for larger version

Name:	folders-files-on-usb-drive.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	49452

Leave a comment:

• David (PassMark)
    replied
    A missing keyboard or mouse should not stop a PC booting. A lot of servers are run like this.

Can you post a screen shot from what you see on your USB drive (the files on the drive).

Leave a comment:

• Rishton52
    replied
    Apologies. Another post from me...
    Just installing some different software. The PC decided it needed to restart. When it restarted the message on the screen was -

Attempting Boot from USB Device
    BOOTMGR is missing
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I did that, then F9 during POST to select boot from the main HD (a SSD)
    So that suggests to me that the files on the USB are incorrect, or there is something missing.

Leave a comment:

• Rishton52
    replied
    All usb devices removed except wired keyboard. Network cable removed.
    Still not booting from the USB. BIOS settings, boot order is USB, then SSD, then CD/DVD ROM drive, etc. PC starts up "normally"
    No screen for memtest with exit/config (shown at https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/how-to/how-to-test-ram)

Leave a comment:

• Rishton52
    replied
    Reading information from other websites that might offer suggestions as to why it's not booting from the USB drive...

I have wireless mouse and keyboard, with a USB receiver/dongle. Maybe that is an issue? I'll see if I can find the wired mouse/keyboard then retry.

Leave a comment:

• Rishton52
    replied
    Thanks for that explanation. Yes, those are the folders/files I see when looking at the drive with Windows Explorer.

I have tried booting from the USB drive - F9 during POST, then selected boot from USB Flash Memory, but the PC starts up normally (from the SSD)

Leave a comment:

• David (PassMark)
    replied
    Maybe you are confused. The .IMG file doesn't get copied to the USB drive as a .IMG file.
    The .IMG file is a complete copy of a USB drive. (a so called disk image).

So after copying the content of the .IMG file to the USB drive you won't see a .IMG file you will see the cloned content of the original USB drive (in the case of V4 of MemTest86 these are folders like src, syslinux and the PDF guide).

So did you test the USB drive by booting it? Maybe it is working.

Leave a comment:

• Rishton52
    replied
    Well, I used Windows to reformat the pen drive (unticked the quick option) then checked it with h2testw. It showed 1.89Gb
    Running the imageUSB again I get the same result. The only folders/files copied are src, syslinux and the PDF guide.
    Windows Disk Management shows Capacity as only 1Mb. Selecting Format again it returns to capacity 1.88Gb, 100% Free.
    Again running imageUSB (as administrator) it shows drive D as 1930 MB. That selected, Write to UFD selected, memtest86-usb.img selected

Name:	verify.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	49415

Refreshing Windows Disk Management, it once again shows D drive with capacity 1 Mb

Any ideas what's going on?

Barry

Leave a comment:

• Rishton52
    replied
    Oops! Just realised my 2Gb drive must be faulty... Not enough room to install the .img
    Will try a different USB drive.

Leave a comment:

• Rishton52
    replied
    I'm having a similar problem - as title of topic.
    Oldish HP Compaq Windows10Pro with BIOS, not UEFI.
    Downloaded memtest86-4.3.7-usb.img
    Running the imageUSB application, the only Windows file copied to my (empty) 2Gb USB drive is memtest86-src.tar.gz in folder src
    The .img selected is not copied. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Name:	imageusb.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	49399

Leave a comment:

• David (PassMark)
    replied
    The source IMG file was a image of an entire USB drive. Including some free space that was on the drive.
    Free space is good for writing log files and test reports to the USB drive.

Leave a comment:

• 55trucker
    replied
    Well...that answers any question about the compatibility of the program with the laptop bios, this is old (2009) design is standard bios.

Still am baffled as to why the install exe is only installing 8mb onto the flash drive & not the entire (the image file displays as 512mb before installation).

Leave a comment:

• David (PassMark)
    replied
    How old is this system? Maybe it doesn't support UEFI BIOS? UEFI is required for MemTest86 V8.

Leave a comment:

• 55trucker
    replied
    Yes I have.....the op/sys I'm doing this for is another computer, the bios *sees* the flash drive, the drive is 1st to boot from, but the boot process goes right by the flash & straight to the failed op\sys that is in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• David (PassMark)
    replied
    Did you try and boot the USB drive?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X