Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incomplete install procedure

Hello there:

when one is going thru the procedure for the exe to install program to USB drive is it normal for the image file NOT to install to the flash drive?
    I don't know if the issue is because I am using a 64bit system to create the flash drive program, the install exe also is formatting the flash drive (2gig) down to 250mb.
    All that is installing is approx 8 mb of program....(help folder & EFI folder), nothing else at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Memtest install pic.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	48778Click image for larger version

Name:	Memtest flash drive after install.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	48779

is it normal for the image file NOT to install to the flash drive?
    The purpose of the ImageUSB software is to copy the disk image file (xxxx.img) to a USB drive and make the USB drive bootable.
    So if it didn't do this, that would not be normal. But from your screen shot it it says, "Imaging complete". So it looks like it worked OK.

the install exe also is formatting the flash drive (2gig) down to 250mb.
    The formatting information is actually part of the .img file.
    So ImageUSB doesn't format the drive as such, it just copies the existing formatting from the source disk image.
    But, yes, this will overwrite any existing formatting / partitioning on the drive. It doesn't effect the physical capacity of the drive however and you can wipe the drive to return it to full capacity.

Comment

The install exe goes completely thru the process, but when all is said & done there's only 8mb on the drive.......the image hasn't been put on the flash drive

Comment

Did you try and boot the USB drive?

Comment

Yes I have.....the op/sys I'm doing this for is another computer, the bios *sees* the flash drive, the drive is 1st to boot from, but the boot process goes right by the flash & straight to the failed op\sys that is in trouble.

Comment

How old is this system? Maybe it doesn't support UEFI BIOS? UEFI is required for MemTest86 V8.

Comment

Well...that answers any question about the compatibility of the program with the laptop bios, this is old (2009) design is standard bios.

Still am baffled as to why the install exe is only installing 8mb onto the flash drive & not the entire (the image file displays as 512mb before installation).

Comment

The source IMG file was a image of an entire USB drive. Including some free space that was on the drive.
                Free space is good for writing log files and test reports to the USB drive.

Comment

I'm having a similar problem - as title of topic.
                  Oldish HP Compaq Windows10Pro with BIOS, not UEFI.
                  Downloaded memtest86-4.3.7-usb.img
                  Running the imageUSB application, the only Windows file copied to my (empty) 2Gb USB drive is memtest86-src.tar.gz in folder src
                  The .img selected is not copied. Any suggestions?
                  Thanks

Name:	imageusb.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	49399

Comment

Oops! Just realised my 2Gb drive must be faulty... Not enough room to install the .img
                    Will try a different USB drive.

Comment

Well, I used Windows to reformat the pen drive (unticked the quick option) then checked it with h2testw. It showed 1.89Gb
                      Running the imageUSB again I get the same result. The only folders/files copied are src, syslinux and the PDF guide.
                      Windows Disk Management shows Capacity as only 1Mb. Selecting Format again it returns to capacity 1.88Gb, 100% Free.
                      Again running imageUSB (as administrator) it shows drive D as 1930 MB. That selected, Write to UFD selected, memtest86-usb.img selected

Name:	verify.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	49415

Refreshing Windows Disk Management, it once again shows D drive with capacity 1 Mb

Any ideas what's going on?

Barry

Comment

Maybe you are confused. The .IMG file doesn't get copied to the USB drive as a .IMG file.
                        The .IMG file is a complete copy of a USB drive. (a so called disk image).

So after copying the content of the .IMG file to the USB drive you won't see a .IMG file you will see the cloned content of the original USB drive (in the case of V4 of MemTest86 these are folders like src, syslinux and the PDF guide).

So did you test the USB drive by booting it? Maybe it is working.

Comment

Thanks for that explanation. Yes, those are the folders/files I see when looking at the drive with Windows Explorer.

I have tried booting from the USB drive - F9 during POST, then selected boot from USB Flash Memory, but the PC starts up normally (from the SSD)

Comment

Reading information from other websites that might offer suggestions as to why it's not booting from the USB drive...

I have wireless mouse and keyboard, with a USB receiver/dongle. Maybe that is an issue? I'll see if I can find the wired mouse/keyboard then retry.

Comment

All usb devices removed except wired keyboard. Network cable removed.
                              Still not booting from the USB. BIOS settings, boot order is USB, then SSD, then CD/DVD ROM drive, etc. PC starts up "normally"
                              No screen for memtest with exit/config (shown at https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/how-to/how-to-test-ram)

Comment

Working...
                              X