This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MemTest86 v9.5 Beta 1 Release

We are pleased to announce the Beta release of V9.5 of MemTest86 for community testing and feedback.

Downloads
    MemTest86 v9.5 Beta can be downloaded from the MemTest86 download page.

New Features
    • Added new experimental memory test as Test 14 [DMA test]. This test exercises the disk controller's DMA hardware to perform memory access, bypassing the CPU. The motivation for this test came from discovering a defective RAM module that did not produce errors when accessed via the CPU, but failed when files were read from disk via DMA.
    Fixes/Enhancements
    • Fixed hammer test incorrectly running in single-sided mode in Free version
    • Fixed clock speed measurement failure for ARM chipsets due to cycle count register not being enabled
    • Fixed bug in reading ECC error count registers for various Intel/AMD Ryzen chipsets
    • Fixed reading ECC error status register for Intel Tiger Lake-H and Alder Lake chipsets
    • Fixed ECC detection on Intel Ice Lake-SP chipsets
    • Fixed ECC support for Intel Rocket Lake chipset variant
    • Added ECC support for Ryzen Zen 3 50h-5fh chipset
    • Added support for retrieving Intel Ice Lake-SP CPU info
    • Added support for retrieving Ice Lake-SP RAM SPD data
    • Added support for retrieving Ice Lake-SP RAM temperature data
    • Updated blacklist

How to report problems

Either make a post here in the forum, or send us an email at the address listed on our contact page. When reporting an error please provide as much details as possible. If you are running on a USB drive, there should be a log file that has been generated in the EFI/BOOT directory called MemTest86.log. Sending us this will be of great help. Additionally a photograph of the problem would also be useful if possible/applicable.

Great idea - DMA test!

I've downloaded it and I'm running it now, but I find it to be very SLOW... It's 3h55m and it's about 34% though the 3rd pass.

It usually takes around 4/5 hours to go through the whole cycle of tests 4 times.

Specs: 12900KS with 32GB of DDR5@6000MHz.

Comment

Originally posted by g126 View Post
      Great idea - DMA test!

I've downloaded it and I'm running it now, but I find it to be very SLOW... It's 3h55m and it's about 34% though the 3rd pass.

It usually takes around 4/5 hours to go through the whole cycle of tests 4 times.

Specs: 12900KS with 32GB of DDR5@6000MHz.
      Took 7h36m to do 4 iterations of this test (see report attached).
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

What type of USB drive was this? (Was it a USB3 drive in a USB3 port?)

I just noticed the SPD RAM details are wrong as well for your DDR5 RAM, "2GB DDR5 PC5-4800"

Can you Email us the debug log.

Comment

Is there an estimation available, when version 9.5 will be finally released that this is also usable with the pro-version?

Comment

ASUS B550m-C / Ryzen 5600x / DDR4-3200 32GB
            8GB USB-3 flash drive on USB 3.1 port.
            Time to complete 3 full passes was 6:55.

What are you using as the source device for the DMA test?
            Looks as though it may be the flash drive.

Comment

Looks as though it may be the flash drive.
              Correct. Can't be sure if it is safe to write to the internal hard drive. It would risk data loss.

Comment

Two HP notebooks, one older (Folio 9470m) the other current.

On the older one, Test14 hangs hard immediately -> reset necessary.

On the newer device, the test runs with 8GB Ram with an HDD via USB2.0 in about 1h 45min. Protocol attached.
                (Later correction: I wanted to send, but pdf is rejected).

One question: How much, how often and where is written to the connected drive (normally a stick)?

Sorry for the possibly bad English. Machine translation.

Comment

Can you post the log files for both cases, MemTest86.log. See 1st post for details.

Comment

I was wrong.
                    The older notebook was was probably NOT frozen. Maybe I was impatient...

But now the newer notebook froze during another run. (this time for real)
                    Attached both logs.

To my questions above: In the meantime I found the additional partition for the DMA test. So that's cleared up. But I would still be interested in the amount of data written to the disk during test 14.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X