> Estimated power usage is related to the performance of a processor <

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• > Estimated power usage is related to the performance of a processor <

The Estimated Energy Usage Cost calculator (can be found via the link at the end of this post) does not provide accurate calculation in which it can be and should be improved by introducing processor performance into the equation.

Doing so allows us to have more accurate results since the same workload will sustain different amount of time for processors having different performances. Lower end processor will work longer to complete the task where higher end processor will complete faster. This can cause the Average CPU Usage to be different on each processor (Where currently, the calculator seems to only introduce a fixed amount of CPU Usage for each processor). Hence, please do plan adding processor performance into the calculation.

Here's the link for an example comparison:
    (Note: The Estimated Energy Usage Cost calculator is located at the bottom part of the page)
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...s823vs822vs827

I think the assumption is that if the machine runs faster then more work gets done (or more frames per second get rendered in the case of gaming).
    So I don't think you can assume that having a more powerful CPU means the CPU will be used for less time.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      I think the assumption is that if the machine runs faster then more work gets done (or more frames per second get rendered in the case of gaming).
      So I don't think you can assume that having a more powerful CPU means the CPU will be used for less time.
      Yes! I've thought of this. I think your point is more for professional people where they've got infinite tasks to run. Most average users or even some professionals usually have finite amount of work to process. This is the part where processor performance should be counted as a factor to the power consumption.

Comment

Gamers as well. No gamer ever said I'd be happy with less frames per second in my games.

The argument might be valid for someone watching Netflix. A high end CPU might run at 10% while a low end CPU might run at 50% load. But built into that is an assumption that we know how well each CPU does at saving electrical power in a low load state. And we don't know this. It also depends on Windows power saving settings. In short I don't think it is simple enough that adding a check box is going to 'fix' it. It is only ever going to be a rough estimate.

Comment

Working...
        X