Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temp spike during Extended Instructions CPU test

Hi guys,

So i have a rather weird issue, during the CPU test part, whenever it reaches Extended Instructions(SSE, AVX, FMA) phase, the temp literally spikes to 110+ degrees celsius and the system freezes every single time. This wouldn't normally be an issue if the system was overclocked but that's my problem, i'm running stock everything, this only happens during this particular test and no other stress tests or benchmarks, PC runs fine otherwise, what could be causing this? I tried monitoring using HWInfo and there's nothing that would indicate a probable cause, there's no voltage spike or anything, just the temp shoots up unexpectedly, is anybody else experiencing this, thanks.

System:
    CPU: i7 9700k
    Mb: AsRock Z390 Extreme 4
    Mem: 16 Gb of DDR4 Trident Z 3200 Mhz CL14

Originally posted by I_Am_Weasel View Post
    Hi guys,

So i have a rather weird issue, during the CPU test part, whenever it reaches Extended Instructions(SSE, AVX, FMA) phase, the temp literally spikes to 110+ degrees celsius and the system freezes every single time. This wouldn't normally be an issue if the system was overclocked but that's my problem, i'm running stock everything, this only happens during this particular test and no other stress tests or benchmarks, PC runs fine otherwise, what could be causing this? I tried monitoring using HWInfo and there's nothing that would indicate a probable cause, there's no voltage spike or anything, just the temp shoots up unexpectedly, is anybody else experiencing this, thanks.

System:
    CPU: i7 9700k
    Mb: AsRock Z390 Extreme 4
    Mem: 16 Gb of DDR4 Trident Z 3200 Mhz CL14
    AVX instructions and the like generate very high thermal loads.

Most Intel CPUs are throttled by the motherboard and they underclock, to stay within power and temperature limits. Especially when processing these kinds of instructions over and over again in a synthetic sort of test. Certain instructions will cause the CPU to draw more power for any given clock speed. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...s#Downclocking

Intel defines the recommended power limits (TDP, TDP Max) – most motherboard vendors usually stick to this but of course these can be easily overridden by overclocking software either within the OS, or embedded within the BIOS.

So I suspect you possibly have poor cooling (e.g. CPU paste not properly applied, or heatsink not attached properly), or you are unknowingly running non-stock settings for your CPU or the BIOS is buggy.

Comment

Working...
    X