Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very Low SSD scores compared to my last baseline passmark

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Very Low SSD scores compared to my last baseline passmark

    Hello, My SSD Performance Test Passmark Score is really low compared to my last baseline passmark I did about a month ago. I first tested it on 18th September 2021 (last month). And when I ran the test today this is the result. It is really low compared to my original score. I'm really worried about the score. I did Hard Disk Sentinel health test and it says my SSD is fine. But why am I getting too low scores compared to my last baseline? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

    PS - I bought this laptop last month

  • #2
    Was anything running in the background that may be accessing the disk at the same time the benchmark was running? Try rerunning just the Disk Test to see if the results are consistent.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Richard (PassMark) View Post
      Was anything running in the background that may be accessing the disk at the same time the benchmark was running? Try rerunning just the Disk Test to see if the results are consistent.
      Thanks for the reply. Yes. I tried several times and comes up with same result. I waited for about 20 minutes after boot to make sure nothing is using the SSD. When SSD usage is at 0% or 1% I ran the test. I disabled antivirus as well. I ran the test multiple times. Here are the results from winsat disk -drive c. I even reinstalled the Performance Test again too. Still gives the same Disk Mark.

      Comment


      • #4
        Some SSDs get slower as they reach their full capacity.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
          Some SSDs get slower as they reach their full capacity.
          My SSD is 74% filled. I might free it up and run the test again. Lets see if it makes any difference. Thank you so much!

          Comment


          • #6
            Do you have a record of the original results to compare to the new results.
            What drive model is it?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
              Do you have a record of the original results to compare to the new results.
              What drive model is it?
              Yes I do. The drive model is Kingston OM8PCP31024F-Al1 (1 TB). Notice that Disk Sequential Write and IOPS 32KQD20 has dropped down drastically.
              1. Total Disk Mark has dropped to 7,806 from 17,033 (From attached images from top post)
              2. IOPS 32KQD20 has dropped to 278 from 1,332
              3. Disk Sequential Write has dropped to 255 from 1,703
              Thank you!

              Comment


              • #8
                Did anything change on the machine?

                This is a M2 drive right? Did the drive get moved to a new M2 slot? Did you install any new PCIe cards in other slots?

                Was there a device driver update for the drive?

                Can you check the temperature of the drive and the rest of the system when under load (maybe it is hotter in your room than a month ago).

                I assume this in on Win10. So there should be no need to set the "TRIM" setting for the drive, but as something seems to be not right, it might be worth checking. Type this command into a CMD window
                fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
                it should return this
                NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)

                Is the drive formatted with the NTFS file system?

                Is the CPU & RAM performance on the machine OK?




                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
                  Did anything change on the machine?

                  This is a M2 drive right? Did the drive get moved to a new M2 slot? Did you install any new PCIe cards in other slots?

                  Was there a device driver update for the drive?

                  Can you check the temperature of the drive and the rest of the system when under load (maybe it is hotter in your room than a month ago).

                  I assume this in on Win10. So there should be no need to set the "TRIM" setting for the drive, but as something seems to be not right, it might be worth checking. Type this command into a CMD window
                  fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
                  it should return this
                  NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)

                  Is the drive formatted with the NTFS file system?

                  Is the CPU & RAM performance on the machine OK?



                  1. No physical changes are done to the machine because this is a new laptop still under warranty. (Bought it last month) No device driver update was done either.
                  2. Temperature of the drive is as follows. Idle - 44C Under load - 56C (Maximum)
                  3. I'm pretty sure room temperature hasn't changed as my room temperature is usually around 28C.
                  4. fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify returns
                  • NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) and NTFS ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) both.
                  • Drive is NTFS.
                  • I ran both Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and Windows Memory Diagnostic. They came up with no problems. CPU & RAM performance passmark is similar to that of the early passmark test too.

                  More details about laptop

                  i7 10870H Processor
                  16 GB DDR4-3200 (Dual Channel)
                  M.2 SSD slot (NVMe PCIe Gen3)
                  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB GDDR6

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The standard disk tests in PerformanceTest are designed to be a fairly quick test.
                    But there is a more comprehensive test under the Advanced menu / Drive Performance.
                    Can you run that and see what the results are, (8GB+ file size, 40sec+ duration)

                    Drive Performance Window in PerformanceTest

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X