Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with G3d tests

Hi guys!

So not sure what I should include int his first post, But I'll start by describing the issue

all the tests in PerformanceTest 7.66 run pretty good and it shows my old system is still comparable to even new hardware The problem arises when i run the G3D tests

complete inconsistency, all the tests run great except the Direct x 10 and the direct x 11 tests.

For directx 10, my fps is always averaging around 18 no matter what settings I have in the AMD Radeon settings

For Directx 11 sometimes the test will run at 55-60fps and a lot of the times it will barely crack 10fps.... when it's able to run good at 55-60fps my overall computer rating is almost 3k, when it runs crappy and doesnt break 10fps, my overall pc rating is under 2k.

my hardware
    Intel DX58SO motherboard
    Intel core i7 920 C0(first gen) 3.66ghz
    6gigs of 1600mhz DDR3 ram running at 1666mhz
    XFX Radeon HD7770 1105mhz core 1250mhz memory
    Dual monitors
    Dell ST2220M
    Acer X223w
    windows 10 professional

everything seems stable all stress tests benchmarks, even playing 3d games everything runs spectacular and 50+fps on max settings the only thing that is completely not right is the Performance test G3D direct x 10(bad performance over all constantly) and direct x 11( good performance some times horrible performance others,very inconsistent)

anyone have any ideas?

Also this is unrelated to Performance test but maybe there is a computer whiz in here that could be of some assitance, i have already asked the intel forums, XFX support and tomshardware, I have recieved zero replies from any of them

since i updated to windows 10, everything runs great even while overclocked aside from some times when i open a youtube video, this will happen

it always starts on the Dell monitor(which is connected with HDMI to DVID cable) if i swap cables, both monitors will do this. the only remedy is to reboot then everything is back to normal, I have disabled hardware acceleration but it still happens, it does not happen when i disconnect 1 monitor and run single display, it only happens when im running dual display, I have reinstalled display drivers, swapped primary display, tried updating bios, tried downclocking everything, still the problem persists It doesnt happen everytime i open a video, but it happens quite often when i open a video linked to youtube. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling flash player

I'm not sure if my second issue has anything to do with the inconsistent(bad) performance with the G3D tests or not, But if anyone has any light to shed on either of these problems, it would be most appreciated, even though this isnt the right place for this second question, I hope you guys can look past that

THANKS!
    Intel DX58SO
    Intel core I7 920 C0
    6gigs skill ddr3 @1666mhz 9-9-9-24
    XFX Radeon HD7770 @ 1105mhz core 1250mhz memory
    850w Silverstone Decathelon Modular PSU
    640GB WDC Black 7200rpm HDD
    10 cooling fans total in an antec 1200 case
    windows 10 pro

all the tests in PerformanceTest 7.66
    We didn't actually have a V7.66 release. You can find the list of PerformanceTest releases here.

If you are using V7, then upgrade to V8. But if you are seeing the DX11 test, then you must be using one of the V8.x releases.

Maybe the DX10 result is CPU limited. In the preferences, set it to use a long test, then monitor the CPU load via task manager. If you have a CPU core being maxed out, then that might be the cause.

BUT, a score of 18fps in DX10 is about what one would expect from your hardware. It is a fairly intense test.

For DX11 the expected result (for your hardware) would be around 36fps. So below 10fps is not normal, but neither is 60fps unless you have done some serious overclocking. Are you sure you aren't being temperature throttled with the overclocking.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      We didn't actually have a V7.66 release. You can find the list of PerformanceTest releases here.

If you are using V7, then upgrade to V8. But if you are seeing the DX11 test, then you must be using one of the V8.x releases.

Maybe the DX10 result is CPU limited. In the preferences, set it to use a long test, then monitor the CPU load via task manager. If you have a CPU core being maxed out, then that might be the cause.

BUT, a score of 18fps in DX10 is about what one would expect from your hardware. It is a fairly intense test.

For DX11 the expected result (for your hardware) would be around 36fps. So below 10fps is not normal, but neither is 60fps unless you have done some serious overclocking. Are you sure you aren't being temperature throttled with the overclocking.

First, thank you very much for replying

Second, let me try to clarify some things, You are 100% correct, I am using Version 8. For some weird reason, When I was typiong my OP, I hovered over the taskbar icon and it said v7.66, so im not sure what happened there o.O but that's irrelevent now thanks for correcting me.

DX10 and Dx11 do not stress my cpu or limited by my cpu as far as I know, During DX10 test, none of my 8 logical cores raise above 15-20% utilization, so it seems my cpu is definitely not a limiting factor

For DX11 test, Yes I have everything overclocked cpu is at 3.66ghz and my 7770 is at 1105mhz core and 1250mhz memory it comes stock at 1000mhz core and 1125mhz memory. not to crazy, my best averages in DX11 test are around 45-50fps but during the test it will range from 39 all the way to 60 on a good run yes i have seen 60fps (not average) in the DX11 test. Here is some numbers from some of my recent test runs

I didn't download PerformanceTest until recently, after updating to windows 10 from windows vista, updating bios and updating graphics drivers, and FINALLY being able to overclock my memory properly to 1600+mhz, which i was never able to do since the day i built my computer i guess vista was preventing me from doing a lot..

Here are some hard numbers from the G3D test unforutunately i have not copied and saved most of the tests I've done because ive done so many but i have copied a few to note pad

first day of downloading Ptest and testing, 1-9-16, same overclocks as I am currently running Average FPS in DX11 48, pretty darn good for an old system i'd say

3D Graphics Mark
      AMD Radeon HD 7770 1929
      Graphics 3D - DirectX 9 Simple
      AMD Radeon HD 7770 93.3
      Graphics 3D - DirectX 9 Complex
      AMD Radeon HD 7770 40.3
      Graphics 3D - DirectX 10
      AMD Radeon HD 7770 19.0
      Graphics 3D - DirectX 11
      AMD Radeon HD 7770 48.3
      Graphics 3D - DirectCompute
      AMD Radeon HD 7770 1716

Between the 9th and the 12th I was having constant runs of the dx 11 and dx 10 test going absolutely horrible and never reaching even 20fps, i almost gave up and just said screw it and started playing my normal games which rand perfectly fine..

Then on the 12th i decided to check things out again, this is one of the test numbers i saved from 1-12-16, the only difference with this test is that i changed some settings in the AMD Radeon Settings panel, for AMD optimized stuff just to see how it affected performance because of how bad everything had been being since the first day i started testing, No other changes were made and as you can see over all it scored slightly worse than the scores i first got on 1-9-16, still you can see an average FPS of 44 in DX11 which was still satisfying

3D Graphics Mark
      This Computer 1707
      This Computer 59.8
      This Computer 57.6
      Graphics 3D - DirectX 10
      This Computer 15.9
      Graphics 3D - DirectX 11
      This Computer 44.2
      This Computer 1574

So i turned everything back to the way it was in AMD Radeon settings and the scores went back to normal which I did not save.

Fastforward to today, 1-13-16 just 1 day after the previous tests that were running well 44fps in dx 11 and 15.9 in dx10, everything remains at the same overclocks and same settings as i had the first day i started testing. and heres the results and keep in mind this same average score happened repeatedly today even after multiple reboots it just would not get better Average DX11 FPS 12.1---horrible... the worst yet, however the DX9 tests SKYROCKETED in fps. and the DX10 test also got quite a bit better...??...

3D Graphics Mark
      This Computer 1471
      This Computer 170.1
      This Computer 78.5
      Graphics 3D - DirectX 10
      This Computer 18.5
      Graphics 3D - DirectX 11
      This Computer 12.1
      This Computer 1593

after this, i ran it a bunch of times and continued to get the same results, then i posted this thread, left the house for a while, came back home, read your reply then decided to test again and these are the result, NOTHING WAS CHANGED DURING THE LAST TEST TO NOW, not even a reboot

3D Graphics Mark
      This Computer 2502
      This Computer 169.4
      This Computer 78.5
      Graphics 3D - DirectX 10
      This Computer 18.6
      Graphics 3D - DirectX 11
      This Computer 45.4
      This Computer 1595

my mind is completely boggled right now and i have no frickin idea whats happening, it is not a cpu or heat related issue as i previously stated no cores reach over 15-20% utilization during any G3D tests, it i s also not temperature related because my CPU never breaks a sweat maxing out at 57ºC according to HWmonitor and the HD7770 is calm and cool at no higher than 67ºC

what am i doing wrong? or my my computer just wacky?
      Intel DX58SO
      Intel core I7 920 C0
      windows 10 pro

Comment

I just Ran the G3D tests again, This time zero changes were made to my system, PerformanceTest was changed to LONG instead of SHORT

3D Graphics Mark
        This Computer 2687
        This Computer 172.5
        Core #2 stayed between 20%-50% core #8 stayed between 10%-30% and every other core stayed between 0%-5%, CPU jumped sporadically from 1.9ghz to 3.66ghz mostly stayed around 3.1ghz

This Computer 78.8
        core #8 maxed at 83% for about a second, the rest of the time it was steady between 45%-50% most other cores stayed fairly idle(under5%) aside form core #5 which was jumping from 20%-40%, clock speeds stayed at 3.45ghz but jumped to 3.66ghz on occasion

Graphics 3D - DirectX 10
        This Computer 25.2
        this was a weird one my CPU clock speeds were sporadic jumping from 1.99ghz to 3.66ghz constantly throughout the entire test, yet almost no core utilization, core #6 maxed out around 66% for about a second the rest of the time everything was cruising at about 1% o.O FPS has increased with a LONG test. CPU jumped from 1.9ghz to 3.66ghz but what i find odd is the majority of time it was at 1.9ghz

Graphics 3D - DirectX 11
        This Computer 45.1
        another weird one, cores #1 and cores #7 hovered around 15% and every other core stayed between 0% and 5% the cpu stayed at 1.9ghz for practically the entire time with only core #1 hitting 3.1ghz one time for about one second.

This Computer 1592
        This test stayed between 80% and 95% on core #8 with every other core staying 10% or under. all cores stayed at 3.48ghz the entire test

i will monitor CPU usage the next time DX11 bogs down to 10fps o.O Ive run these test numerous times for the past hour or so and it hasn't happened yet, but that means nothing at this point lol
        Intel DX58SO
        Intel core I7 920 C0
        windows 10 pro

Comment

I just got done watching a live stream of the powerball and upon closing the browser, maximizing performance test and attempting to run the G3D tests I received this error.

I assume this is related to the Horizontal lines covering my screen when i try to watch videos?

In case you can't read it, the small box says "Could not reset Direct 3d device"

the larger box says

Invalid Video Mode
          The resolution and color depth you have selected do not appear to be valid for hardware acceleration
          Please ensure that the correct monitor drivers are installed.
          Also ensure that the most recent video drivers for your graphics adapter are properly installed.
          This error can also occur if your monitor is in portrait mode.
          Error Code: D3DERR_DEVICELOST

my actions
          running performance test for 1 hour and a half with very good results, minimize performancetest and watch powerball live stream in firefox, close firefox, maximize performance test and bam.
          Intel DX58SO
          Intel core I7 920 C0
          windows 10 pro

Comment

The 7.66 version number thing is not right.
            We suspect you have a cracked / pirated / corrupted version of the software.

Can you download a clean copy from our web site.

Comment

The 7.66 version number thing is not right.
              We suspect you have a cracked / pirated / corrupted version of the software.

Can you download a clean copy from our web site.

Thanks for the reply.

I did actually download it from a different website, found through google, it does however ask me for a registration code everytime i open it and says my free 20 day trial has expired even though i never had a trial, i did find this weird but thought nothing of it. Could that really be causing weird G3D tests? interesting.

Ill delete it and download a proper version from you, thanks for the heads up, ill let you know how the tests come out
              Intel DX58SO
              Intel core I7 920 C0
              windows 10 pro

Comment

Working...
              X