X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• merlin
    replied
    RAID 0 slowdown

I found that if you have the latest Nvidia drivers the SATARAID drivers that come with 6.86 are very slow.
    I installed the SATA DRIVERS from one version back 6.85 and got MUCH better results Read speed went from 40.8 to 149.9

hope that helps

Merlin
    ASUS A8N-SLI NF4
    AMD Opteron 165 OC to 2.5GHz
    2 GB Corsair XMS 2-3-3-6 RAM
    2X Raptor 10,000RPM 74 GB IN RAID 0
    2X BFG 7800GT OC IN SLI

Leave a comment:

• Rumple
    replied
    If you did an XP repair, did you also re-install all the latest nforce software. I would change the IDE controllers drivers out to Microsoft standard and then remove nforce drivers and then re-install. That should force the drivers for IDE back to nforce (and hopefully bring back the performance).

Poor performance when i used to work on via boards all the time was indicitive of forgetting to install the 4-in-1 drivers (or a corrupt install somehow)

Leave a comment:

• David (PassMark)
    replied
    SLI has a bunch of problems. In particular it only works with a small number of games. See previous posts about SLI problems for details. Most apps gain nothing from SLI. And some 2D apps actually run slower.

I agree there is a problem with your RAID setup. Strangely enough we had a similar problem last time we did a RAID install. The RAID performance was truly abysmal and the project was initially dismal failure.

We never found the answer and dumped the controller in the end. Promise (the RAID manufacturer) never bothered to answer our support questions, so we decided never to purchase another Promise product and then switched to using software RAID. Which works pretty well for what we need.

So we don't know the answer to your problem, but it might make you feel better that we also failed, despite have fairly good industry contacts and 20+ years of experience doing this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• MasterX
    started a topic RAID 0 bad Slowdown

RAID 0 bad Slowdown

OK heres a new one, i have 2 Maxtor 100GB UDMA 133, 8MB Cache drives running RAID 0, drive 1 in on Primary Master, drive 2 is on Secondary Master, no other IDE devices, CDROM is SATA.

I used to get READ speads over 100 MBPS and WRITE Speeds over 100MBPS and the Random SEEK was near 2-5 pts, and the machine was FAAASSTTT! ever since i did a repair install to XP my HD speeds have plummetted, 2mbps write, 10-20 read, 1 random seek, and no explanations,

i have tried all sorts of drivers, tweaking, and stuff, and im a Tech, so its not like homer simpson trying to fix a space shuttle here.

another thing is, according to PT 6 my old AGP 7800 GS scores higher across the board than my 2 PCI-E 7900 GS OC's in SLI mode????
    i know thats inaccurate because these cards whip its ass in game by FAR!
    i have a baseline from my old rig thats how i know!

Does PT support SLI correctly?

heres my extended specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4600+ Manchester (2400Mhz)
    Ultra V 550W Power Supply Twin Rail 28A
    ECS KN1 SLI Extreme NForce 4-Ultra Motherboard
    2GB's of Dual Channel 3200 RAM (4x512MB 400Mhz)
    ThermalTake DIMM Air Cooler
    Nautilus 500 Watercooling with 2 VGA waterblocks and CPU block
    2 x BFG's GeForce 7900 GS-OC 256MB GDDR3 (SLI-MODE) watercooled
    HL-DT CD-RW Drive with SATA Adapter 16x10x40x

KEY: RED and BLUE are a Athlon 64 3000+ 1GB 3200 - Raid 0 same drives, 7800 GS AGP - Blue is with tweaks, red = stock
    GREEN is the above 4600 dual core machine....

I checked for spyware, background processes, and i have my swap file disabled so that should make it even faster......
    Last edited by MasterX; Dec-14-2006, 09:26 AM.
Working...
X