Automating BIT Installation - URGENT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automating BIT Installation - URGENT

I have been browsing through the BIT 5.0 White Paper and come across the CD/USB Key method of running BIT.
    It seems that the same method used to copy across the files required could be used when running BIT from a PC's HDD, rather than having to go through the process of running the installer package, which so far seems to not respond to any of the usual switches.

I require a silent, unnattended installation of BIT 5.3 so it can simply be added to the rest of the "Silent installation" batch that i have written for installing PC's for retail purpose. We produce around 50+ PC's a day, and all installs but BIT are fully automatic now.

Any ideas?
    Would i be breaking the T&C's in my License if i were to adopt an alternative installation method?

So Far.....

So Far I have done the following

Created .bat Scripts

1: copyBIT - copies all BIT files to c:\burnintest, creates PassMark\BurnInTest folders within My Documents, places MTtests.bitcfg within this folder, and copies bit.bat, rembit.bat to c:\WINDOWS for Run box execution

2: bit.bat - loads BIT and configures it to use the MTtests.bitcfg file to determine the tests to run etc

3: rembit.bat - cleans up c:\ of burnintest, My Documents of PassMark and subs, C:\WINDOWS of bit.bat and rembit.bat

1 & 3 work fine, however 2 (bit.bat) successfully loads and autostarts bit, however it reports
    "Could not open the saved configuration file.
    C:\Documents and Settings\...\PassMark\BurnInTest\LastUsed.bitcfg
    Check the name is correct.
    Check that you have access to this file"

this is the bit.bat script
    "@ECHO OFF
    C:\burnintest\bit.exe /r MTtests.bitcfg"

Nothing fancy, as you can see.

I have attempted to alter it with the -C parameter referred to elsewhere, however this has made no difference to the outcome.

Comment

Update...Partial Success

OK, so what I've ended up doing is renaming the "MTtests.bitcfg" file to "LastUsed.bitcfg". This works as intended, however, my reason for using the filename "MTtests" was so that i could further develop my installation to run the correct test for that particular hardware. IE, MTtest1 would be run on a gaming rig, MTtest2 would run on an office PC, MTtest3 would run on a laptop, with different test configurations for each, and the script placing the correct MTtest in the folder for BIT to use, while rewriting the bit.bat script at the same time.

For RnD purposed, LastUsed.bitcfg will have to do, but i would certainly like to know if and how anyone else has accomplished this?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel_Microtest View Post
        So Far I have done the following

Created .bat Scripts

1: copyBIT - copies all BIT files to c:\burnintest, creates PassMark\BurnInTest folders within My Documents, places MTtests.bitcfg within this folder, and copies bit.bat, rembit.bat to c:\WINDOWS for Run box execution

2: bit.bat - loads BIT and configures it to use the MTtests.bitcfg file to determine the tests to run etc

3: rembit.bat - cleans up c:\ of burnintest, My Documents of PassMark and subs, C:\WINDOWS of bit.bat and rembit.bat

1 & 3 work fine, however 2 (bit.bat) successfully loads and autostarts bit, however it reports
        "Could not open the saved configuration file.
        C:\Documents and Settings\...\PassMark\BurnInTest\LastUsed.bitcfg
        Check the name is correct.
        Check that you have access to this file"

this is the bit.bat script
        "@ECHO OFF
        C:\burnintest\bit.exe /r MTtests.bitcfg"

Nothing fancy, as you can see.

I have attempted to alter it with the -C parameter referred to elsewhere, however this has made no difference to the outcome.
        If your batch file is loading a .bitcfg file in a folder that has whitespace, you must place it in quotes. For example:

C:\burnintest\bit.exe /r "c:\documents and settings\... \MTtests.bitcfg"

Hope this helps.
        Jay W.
        Diagnostic Engineer
        Comark Corporation
        93 West St.
        Medfield, MA 02052
        http://www.comarkcorp.com

Comment

Thanks, it's amazing how easy it is to overlook something so simple, however i do have one query...

did you omit the C- parameter purposely, or did you overlook it?
          I would try it now, but i have moved on to another project for a couple of days, my time on AutoBIT5.3 (project name) is up and i'll have to squeeze in alterations on friday afternoon! so if you mistsakenly omitted the C- parameter please let me know!

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel_Microtest View Post
            Thanks, it's amazing how easy it is to overlook something so simple, however i do have one query...

did you omit the C- parameter purposely, or did you overlook it?
            I would try it now, but i have moved on to another project for a couple of days, my time on AutoBIT5.3 (project name) is up and i'll have to squeeze in alterations on friday afternoon! so if you mistsakenly omitted the C- parameter please let me know!

Many thanks.
            I was only commenting on the usage of quotes around whitespace, not any switches that should or should not be used.

HTH.
            Jay W.
            Diagnostic Engineer
            Comark Corporation
            93 West St.
            Medfield, MA 02052
            http://www.comarkcorp.com

Comment

In regards to the License agreement, you mainly need to ensure that BurnInTest is not installed on more systems than you have licenses for. The ".zip" package when used with the a valid key.dat file, from a licensing perspective uninstalls BurnIntest from the system automatically on exiting BurnInTest. The (normal) BurnInTest installation package (.exe) does not, and would need to be explicitly uninstalled.

In regards to the command line, as Jay pointed out you need quotes around paths with whitespaces.

You must specify /c before the configuration file name.

Also, if you do not specify the path of the config file, then the config file needs to be in your C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\PassMark\BurnInTest (ie. My documents) folder for BurnInTest V5.2 and above, or in the BurnIntest program directory for BurnInTest V5.1 and earlier. In V5.3 and above, you can force BurnInTest to use the BurnIntest program directory with the /p command line parameter.

Regards,
              Ian (PassMark)

Comment

Thank you

I have it all working now, so thank you to all who have offered their assistance.

D

Comment

Working...
                X