RAM test pattern is ignored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM test pattern is ignored

It seems with BurnInTest Pro ver 5.3 Build 1005 (in both demo and registered mode), the "Test Pattern" setting in the preference dialog has no effect. I've tried several patterns (ones, sequential, etc) but the default cycling pattern is always used regardless. Same result with "Standard" and "Address Windowing Extensions" mode in Windows XP Pro and Window XPe.

Background:
    I'm trying to diagnose an odd 'memory' problem on several Intel 945G chipset-based embedded motherboard where running the 3D test and the RAM test together often produces a high frequency of memory errors. Running the RAM test alone results in few or no errors overnight. I've run other non-windows memory tests overnight with no errors detected. Replacing RAM has not solved the problem.

The memory errors detected during a single run always occur within a small address range (~1MB or so), but that range shifts when the computer is rebooted (and sometimes the errors are not detected at all). The expected value vs the read value differ significantly (for example: Read: 0x03e70000 Expected 0x00006014) and the 2 least significant bytes of the read value are always zero. I cannot confirm these values using a RAM editor because the allocated test memory block is zero-ed as soon as the test fails. Seems like there is some kind of memory addressing failure that is exacerbated by 3D processing the Intel Graphic Media Accelerator.

Note: a nice addition to the test pattern would be "expected memory address" to help diagnose memory addressing problems.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have tested changing the Test Pattern and it seems to work. When for example, you select Preferences->RAM, Select "Standard" and select "Ones data Pattern" and select OK, select "Start Test run", in the RAM test Window you should see the pattern as "Ones (11111111)". Do you see this or "Cyclic"? If you see Cyclic, if you re-enter Preferences->RAM, are your earlier selections of "Standard" and "Ones data Pattern" still set?

In regards to your RAM test failure, this is the 3rd report we have had with this behavior. All 3 reports have been with the Intel 945G, and the BurnInTest RAM test and 3D test running simultaneously. We have not had reports with any other hardware. One user had 10 identical systems, only 2 presented this behavior, they changed the Motherboards of these 2 systems and the problem was resolved.

At this stage, I would have to conclude that it is an Intel 945G hardware problem.

Regards,
    Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Ian (PassMark) View Post
      I have tested changing the Test Pattern and it seems to work. When for example, you select Preferences->RAM, Select "Standard" and select "Ones data Pattern" and select OK, select "Start Test run", in the RAM test Window you should see the pattern as "Ones (11111111)". Do you see this or "Cyclic"? If you see Cyclic, if you re-enter Preferences->RAM, are your earlier selections of "Standard" and "Ones data Pattern" still set?
      If I select "Standard" and "Ones data Pattern" the first test cycle is indeed the "Ones (11111111)" test. However, the next cycle will use the "Sequence" pattern, and so on. When I return to the preferences screen, the "Ones" test is still selected. Same issue with the "Address Windowing Extensions" test (my preferred test) but the cycles are much more brief making the issue more noticable.

In regards to your RAM test failure, this is the 3rd report we have had with this behavior. All 3 reports have been with the Intel 945G, and the BurnInTest RAM test and 3D test running simultaneously. We have not had reports with any other hardware. One user had 10 identical systems, only 2 presented this behavior, they changed the Motherboards of these 2 systems and the problem was resolved.

At this stage, I would have to conclude that it is an Intel 945G hardware problem.

Regards,
      Ian
      Interesting. We've seen several identical units that didnt appear to exhibit this problem at first, but it would eventually crop up.

Comment

We have corrected the RAM pattern issue. The new patch release can be downloaded from:
        http://www.passmark.com/ftp/bitpro5.3.1005.0003.exe

Regards,
        Ian (PassMark)

Comment

Working...
        X