3D test window freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D test window freeze

I run BurnIn5.3 pro(1005) in my new computer,with CPU,memory,hard-disk,DVD-rom running simultaneously. Everything goes well but the 3D test window freeze after running for about 15 hours. The number of fps(frames per second) in 3D test window keep varying but the graphics freeze.Could you tell me why this phenomenon appear?

3D test window freeze

[supplement]The number of operations and cycles keep rising in live result.

Comment

It might be a bug (maybe a resource leak) in your video card device driver.

What are the system spec's for your machine?

Comment

3D test window freeze

The spec for my machine as below:
        CPU: AMD opteron 1218(2.6Ghz,dual core)
        DIMM0:Samsung 1GB,unbuffered,ECC,DDR2-667
        DIMM1:Samsung 1GB,unbuffered,ECC,DDR2-667
        DIMM2:Samsung 1GB,unbuffered,ECC,DDR2-667
        DIMM3:Samsung 1GB,unbuffered,ECC,DDR2-667
        HDD0:HITACHI HDs7225SB,250G,SATA
        HDD1:HITACHI HDs7225SB,250G,SATA
        Graphic card: Nvidia Quadro FX1500(driver:8.4.2.6,3/17/2006)
        Operating system: winXP professional(2002)+SP2

Could you tell me what "resource leak" is?

Comment

A resource leak is when system resources (like RAM, disk space, open file handles, etc..) are continuously used by a software application but never released back to the operating system.

There is an old Microsoft technical article here on the subject.

The typical result of a resource leak is a consistent repeatable crash of some sort after a extended period of running the software in question. For example, you always get the same problem after roughly 15 hours.

In other words it is a particular type of software bug. As an end user you can't do much to fix the problem yourself.

But I am just guessing that this is what the problem might be. If you repeated the several times and found the crash was in fact random, then it probably wouldn't be a resource leak.

Comment

I met the same issue with Burn-in 5.3, run BurnIn5.3 pro(1005) in my new computer,with CPU,memory,hard-disk,DVD-rom running simultaneously.
            The 3D test window freeze after running around 24 hours.

But I tried to run Burn-in 5.1 version with same test item, there is no 3D test window freeze situation after running 48 hours.
            Could you tell me if there's any other clue about the phenomenon besides "resource leak" ?

Computer configuration:
            CPU: Intel Q6700 (2.66Ghz,dual core)
            DIMM0:Samsung 1GB,unbuffered,ECC,DDR2-667
            DIMM1:Samsung 1GB,unbuffered,ECC,DDR2-667
            HDD0:HITACHI HDs7225SB,250G,SATA
            HDD1:HITACHI HDs7225SB,250G,SATA
            Graphic card: Nvidia Quadro NVS285(driver:8.4.2.6,3/17/2006)
            Operating system: winXP professional(2002)+SP2

Comment

The older version of the 3D test in V5.1 was pretty basic and didn't exercise much of the functionality in new video cards. The newer test will exercise additional circuits in the video card and additional code paths in the device driver. So it no surprise that V5.3 will pick up faults the V5.1 didn't.

It seems highly likely that it is software bug in the nVidia device driver or maybe in DirectX. In any case there is very little we can do about it. We tried reporting problems to Microsoft and nVidia in the past, but they just ignore us.

If you wanted to get to the bottom of it however, start by contacting nVidia.

Comment

Working...
              X