BurninTest 5.3, 3D Graphics Test fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BurninTest 5.3, 3D Graphics Test fails

With BurninTest 5.1 we could test 3D Graphics on servers with onboard graphics chips- for instance onboard 8MB ATI RageXL, 16MB ATI ES1000, etc. With BurninTest 5.3 the 3D Graphics Test will no longer run- it errors out immediately. Note that DirectX 9.0C is installed and DXDiag functions properly.

Is this a bug in verision 5.3?

I am not aware of any reports of this type of problem.
    What error is reported?
    What version of BurnInTest are you using (eg. PRO v5.3.1012)?
    Which Operating system are you using?
    What are your settings (are they the same as for V5.1 -e.g. one default sized window)?

Regards,
    Ian
    Last edited by Ian (PassMark); Nov-08-2007, 01:13 AM.

Comment

What error is reported?
      A- "Error initializing DirectX device."

What version of BurnInTest are you using (eg. PRO v5.3.1012)?
      A- Pro V5.3 1012 What works is 5.1 (1003) and 5.2 (1005)

Which Operating system are you using?
      A- In this instance Windows 2000 Server. I'm 90% sure it also occurs on XP but I'll have to reload the OS to confirm.

What are your settings?
      For v5.3 the settings are defaults for 3DGraphics (300x200). No system or BurninTest changes when updating from v5.1 to v5.2 to v5.3. v5.1 and v5.2 (bouncing balls) works but 5.3 (airplane) does not.

Running DXDiag utility and selecting 'Test Direct3D' works properly.

Thanks,
      DanB

Comment

Normally for a server OS with this error I would suggest you check Direct3D hardware acceleration is enabled, but as DxDiag 3D tests work then I guess this is OK.

Next I would check that you card supports DirectX 9.0c October 2006 - ie. if it is a really old card then it may not be compatable any longer. BurnInTest changed from DirectX 9.0c October 2004 to Octber 2006 (DirectX Direct3D component) going from BurnInTest v5.2 to 5.3.1000.

Note: Even though DirectX 9.0c sounds like the one version, it is actually updated about every 3 months, with the minor versioning number being the date.

Hence I suspect your graphics card is fairly old and does not support the DirectX version now used in BurnInTest. How old is the card and what is it? I would try and update the device driver and see if it works. Otherwise you will need to use an older version of BurnInTest for these older Graphics Cards.

If you would like us to look at this more, please run just the 3D test (v5.3.1012) with Preferences->Logging, Activity trace 2 switched on and email us the .trace file with the more detailed error message.
        eg.
        3D test: Detailed error code (0x12345678,123)

to:
        help [at] passmark [dot] com

Thanks.
        Ian

Comment

Working...
        X