Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test more than 10 NICs

Hi Passmark,

I have some system has more than 10 NICs.
    I use 2003 R2 as a based OS and BIT 5.3 Pro standalone version 1014.

BIT only recognizes 8 NICs in standard test.
    In NIC advanced test with an end point service running in a server, if I set 10 or even 4 NICs to test, it won't work but exit without any message.

I can set BIT test the first 8 NICs then automatically start BIT test on the remaining NICs. However, we do not know exactly which NICs have been tested and untested to set.

Do you have any suggestion on this issues?

Thanks,
    Thanh
    www.ncst.com

The Standard Network test can test up to 6 NICs at one time.
    The Advanced Network test can test up to 10 NICs at one time.

To test more than these numbers you need a multi-stage manual process. For example to test 12 NICs using the standard test, and to be certain traffic is forced down all NICs, you could:
    1) Configure the BurnInTest Standard test to "Test all available NICs", enter 6 Network Addresses and select the checkbox for all 6 Network Addresses.
    2.1) Connect 6 NICs, disconnect the other 6 NICs. Run the Standard Network test.
    2.2) Disconnect the original 6 NICs, connect the untested 6 NICs. Run the Standard Network test.

In regards to the Advanced Network test existing. This could be a bug in BurnInTest on some systems with more than 10 NICs. When does BurnInTest exit, from Advanced Network preferences, on starting the Advanced Network test or after a certain period of time after starting the Advanced Network test?

Also, if you could please send us the following information:
    Start-> right click "My Computer" and select Manage, double click "Event Viewer" on the left hand side of the window, double click "Application" and find the event of type "Error" around the time the problem occurred. This will contain information like:
    "Faulting application bit.exe, version 5.0.1003.0, faulting module bit.exe, version 5.0.1003.0, fault address 0x00412345."

Regards,
    Ian

Comment

Thank for your reply,

Originally posted by Ian (PassMark) View Post
      The Standard Network test can test up to 6 NICs at one time.
      The Advanced Network test can test up to 10 NICs at one time.

To test more than these numbers you need a multi-stage manual process. For example to test 12 NICs using the standard test, and to be certain traffic is forced down all NICs, you could:
      1) Configure the BurnInTest Standard test to "Test all available NICs", enter 6 Network Addresses and select the checkbox for all 6 Network Addresses.
      2.1) Connect 6 NICs, disconnect the other 6 NICs. Run the Standard Network test.
      2.2) Disconnect the original 6 NICs, connect the untested 6 NICs. Run the Standard Network test.
      We need a way to flip NICs programmatically because we may have many systems running BIT at a time.

In regards to the Advanced Network test existing. This could be a bug in BurnInTest on some systems with more than 10 NICs. When does BurnInTest exit, from Advanced Network preferences, on starting the Advanced Network test or after a certain period of time after starting the Advanced Network test?

Also, if you could please send us the following information:
      Start-> right click "My Computer" and select Manage, double click "Event Viewer" on the left hand side of the window, double click "Application" and find the event of type "Error" around the time the problem occurred. This will contain information like:
      "Faulting application bit.exe, version 5.0.1003.0, faulting module bit.exe, version 5.0.1003.0, fault address 0x00412345."

Regards,
      Ian
      I will remember this and send the error report to you next time.

Thanks,
      Thanh

Comment

Currently you can't do this with-in BurnInTest. You could possibly develop some of your own scripting outside BurnInTest to disable/enable certain NICs, run BurnInTest, then disable/enable certain other NICs, and run the BurnInTest test again (e.g. from a BurnInTest script).

How many NIC's do you need to test up to so we can consider this for V6.0 of BurnInTest?

Regards,
        Ian

Comment

Thank for your reply
          Originally posted by Ian (PassMark) View Post
          Currently you can't do this with-in BurnInTest. You could possibly develop some of your own scripting outside BurnInTest to disable/enable certain NICs, run BurnInTest, then disable/enable certain other NICs, and run the BurnInTest test again (e.g. from a BurnInTest script).
          Yes, we will try that way until BIT can handle it.

How many NIC's do you need to test up to so we can consider this for V6.0 of BurnInTest?
          Recently, we have an order with 12 NICs systems.
          Because of the uncertainty of our customers' need, I have no glue on that but I would suggest 14 NICs supported in BIT V6.0

Regards,

Thanh
          www.ncst.com

Comment

Working...
          X