Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burn-In Test Application clashes with WinXP SP3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ian,
    we had 2 units that failed:
    1st w/o 2D test
    2nd w/o extended CPU test (MMX)

There was absolutley nothing in the logs, also my batch file just continues work as it should if the BIT is passed and than closed by user. It seems it's just closing it self. (Why ever)

You don't need to care about the german words, the batch file does prcessing of a checklist before BIT is launched. This checklist is processed by
    Code:
    type checklist.txt >> %_sn%.log
    after BIT is closed.
    So that you see this german words, just tells us that the batch continues it's work. It's more interesting, that the beginning of the words is not starting in a new line.

That's the only difference to BIT that passes normally.

I have to interrupt the analyses now, we have to deliver theses batch of laptops this week, so we already installed WinXP SP2 on friday. That is what we do until we find a solution. Also I'm out of office up to wednesday. So I think we'll contionue next week.

I've just send the files by eMail.

Best Regards
    Malte

P.S. Do you know any difference if Windows is in preinstallation mode? We do unattended Windows installation, that means we run sysprep after BIT is passed. So everytime windows is booting up, it launches factory.exe, but we normally close it before launching BIT.
    Last edited by malte; Sep-15-2008, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by malte View Post
      we had 2 units that failed:
      1st w/o 2D test
      2nd w/o extended CPU test (MMX)
      We have had a number of reports of this behavior with BurnInTest 5.3 on XP SP3.

The common items with the reports to date seem to be:
      - The problem does not occur on XP SP2
      - BurnInTest just closes with no Windows "Sorry BurnInTest has closed "... window. This would normally provide debug information for this type of problem.
      - The problem occurs after 2 to 6 hours of testing.
      - The problem does not occur for every test run.
      - The minimum test set to date seems to be CPU Maths, Standard memory, Disk (each with default settings). One report suggests it may be related to the memory test with the disk test. The problem does not seem to occur if the tests are run individually.
      - The problem seems to occur on both desktop and laptops, with both integrated graphics and graphics cards. Raid and non-raid disks.
      - Duty cycles may be set on 100%.
      - The problem occurs on non-English Operating Systems (Russian, Chinese, Spanish, and German). No confirmed reports on English OS yet.
      We have been unable to reproduce the problem. If you have this problem please contact us at, help [at] passmark [dot] com, as this should help us identify what the problem is.
      There was absolutely nothing in the logs, also my batch file just continues work as it should if the BIT is passed and than closed by user. It seems it's just closing it self. (Why ever)
      This is an unrecoverable software exception in BurnInTest. The software error could occur in BurnInTest, a library BurnInTest uses (like DirectX), the Windows Operating System, a device driver, in some cases a hardware error can cause a software problem (like faulty RAM) or even the BIOS. I would say that in most cases it is BurnInTest exercising a Device driver with a bug. In your case, as it is after a long test, then maybe a device driver has a resource leak, such that when the resources are low enough, the device driver fails in some manner.
      In saying this, you would normally get a message indicating that BurnInTest has closed. Our current thinking is that a software (.dll/.sys) updated in XP SP3 has a stack corruption and is unable to recover to the point of producing a debug file (minidump).
      P.S. Do you know any difference if Windows is in preinstallation mode? We do unattended Windows installation, that means we run sysprep after BIT is passed. So everytime windows is booting up, it launches factory.exe, but we normally close it before launching BIT.
      I don't know of any difference.

Comment

If you are having the problem of BurnInTest v5.3 'disappearing' on XP SP3, then please send us an email and we will send you a debug version of BurnInTest. Please contact us at:
        http://www.passmark.com/support/index.htm

Regards,
        Ian

Comment

We have made a new build of 32-bit BurnInTest Pro, V5.3.1030, to try and address this problem. Could you please download this new build and let us know whether the problem has been resolved, or the behavior has changed.

The new build can be downloaded here:
          http://www.passmark.com/ftp/bitpro.exe

Regards,
          Ian

Comment

We believe that we have resolved this problem in V5.3.1032. We would appreciate confirmation from users that this problem is now resolved.

The new build can be downloaded from here (for now):
            http://www.passmark.com/ftp/bitpro5....0003.debug.exe

Based on feedback and our ongoing testing, we currently hope to make a public build available tomorrow.

Thanks.

Regards,
            Ian

Comment

We have released a new public build of BurnInTest Professional 5.3.1033 that corrects this problem. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of BurninTest have been updated. BurnInTest Standard will be updated tomorrow.

Please follow the links to see the updates and download the latest version of BurnInTest:
              http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Regards
              Ian

Comment

The standard BurnInTest build of V5.3.1033 is now also available.

Regards,
                Ian

Comment

WinXP SP3 problem solved

Hi Ian,
                  I just want to confirm, that since build 1033 we have no more problems with SP3.

Thanks a lot
                  Malte

Comment

Malte,

Thanks for the feedback.

Just FYI, build 1034 is now available with some minor corrections.

Best regards,
                    Ian

Comment

Working...
                    X