stops running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stops running

Using Burnintest pro 4 (same results with 3), on Windows XP Home, Athlon 2600+, Optronix motherboard, maxtor hard drive, MX440 or Radeon 7000 64mb graphics card. Software happily reports passed 2 0r 3 times, then on a test it will just shut itself down, all 8 windows, and leaves XP running fine back at the desktop.
    Any ideas please. The reason there are 2 graphics cards mentioned is because i thought it was a fault with the Nvidia card but same thing happens with ATI

It might be a bug in BurnInTest or it might be a hardware fault. Could you tell us exactly which version of BurnInTest you are using. (From the Help / About window).

How long does it take before the shutdown occurs on average? Does it always happen after the same amount of time or is it random?

What tests do you have active in BurnInTest. E-mailing us your BurnInTest config file would be good, then we could see all your settings.

Does the machine experience any other problems. For example if it was bad RAM you might notice other applications or Windows crashing?

If you can reproduce the problem without any problems, try removing some of the tests and just run one at a time. For example, just run the disk test, then just run the RAM text, etc. The can help isolate the fault.

--------
    David

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem. Windows XP Pro SP/2, no third party cards. Just the MOBO, mem, CPU and drives. Multiple systems just stop running Burinin all at the exact same time 1:30:03. Windows runs fine aftwards but it does log an error to the event log saying the application unexpecitidly stopped running.
      MSI Motherboard with SIS chipset.
      Burnin v3.0
      -Damian

Comment

**UPDATE**
        Our Burnin is set to auto-run for two hours. What's happening is it's going the full two hours, it's just not shutting down correctly. I had a machine running it in my cube so I was able to witness the final few seconds.
        Once the test ends there is massive hard drive activity for a good 1 1/2 to 2 full minutes. Afterwards Burnin simply shuts down. The log file shows the tests ended at exactly 1:30:03 which is really strange since it does in fact run the full two hours.
        No hardware failures.
        Is this simply an old version of Burnin (3.0) having problems on XP SP/2? I seriously doubt there are hardware problems here.
        -Damian

Comment

Yes, I believe that this was a problem in early 3.0 builds on some systems. V3.0 is now fairly old. See this page for a list of bug fixes since V3.0,
          http://www.passmark.com/products/bit_history.htm

In particular Version 3.1 build 1002 had a fix for an issue like this.

We would recomend you upgrade to V4.0 however.

------
          David
          PassMark

Comment

Originally posted by PassMark
            Yes, I believe that this was a problem in early 3.0 builds on some systems. V3.0 is now fairly old. See this page for a list of bug fixes since V3.0,
            http://www.passmark.com/products/bit_history.htm

In particular Version 3.1 build 1002 had a fix for an issue like this.

We would recomend you upgrade to V4.0 however.

------
            David
            PassMark
            Okay so we purchased 4.0 and I ran a two hour burnin session. This time at the end it was even worse then with 3.0. Every test stopped responding. I wasn't even able to bring up the task manager to kill each thread, I had to just shut the machine off.
            Unfortunatly for me I didn't set up the log file so I can't check to see if it stopped logging at 1:30 like 3.0 does.
            I did verify that this is only happening with XP SP/2. I loaded an SP/1 image on the very same machine and ran two seperate two hour burnin sessions and both passed without incident. It's only once I loaded SP/2 does this problem show itself.
            Need a fix FAST because I have machines in production waiting on a resolution.

Comment

This is not a known problem. Given that we are a few hours away from New Years Eve 2004 and a long week-end on this side of the world, I can't promise a fast solution.

Are you sure that it wasn't just taking a couple of minutes to clean up at the end of the tests. If you are using the disk test and the CD burning test, there can be a lot of files to remove from the disk(s) at the end of the test.

If you can E-mail me some additional details that would help. In particular,

1/ Your Burnintest configuration file
              2/ If the problem also happens after a short test of just a minute of so
              3/ Your hardware config. CPU, RAM, Hard disk size(es)
              4/ A log file and screen shot if you can get one

-----
              Regards
              David

Comment

I've just sent the email you requested with the information you require.

Comment

Email bounced. Is the support email address still valid?
                  -Damian

Comment

The support E-mail address is on our support page, here,
                    http://www.passmark.com/support/

I don't like posting it becuase the spam robots will pick it up from this forum and start sending us spam.

The correct E-mail address is help at passmark dot com.

About a year ago we were using the address, support at passmark, but we had to drop it becuase we were getting about 500 spam E-mails a day.

------
                    David

Comment

Understood. I've sent an email to the correct address.
                      -Damian

Comment

Working...
                      X