Problems with the Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with the Notes

I'm working on updating our BurnInTest Pro testing environment from v5.3 to v6.0 and I'm seeing three problems with the notes.

Specifically, under the program's System Information tab, the Notes field is displaying the serial number value instead of the notes value.

Under the text log file, it no longer includes the pre-test script feedback such as "Script , SETNOTES 'Blind Celeron with XP - Blind Uni'".

Finally, under the test certificate, the notes value is displaying funny because it stored one character per line instead of the whole string. For example:
    Code:

<td width="75%" class="altvalue">
    B
    l
    i
    n
    d
    Please look into these problems, let me know what you find, and thanks in advance.

I would classify these problems as bugs and therefore would appreciate a response as well as resolution on the matter.

Comment

Sorry, I read this and we started work on it. I forgot to post a response.

We have corrected the 1st and 3rd issues in a build yet to be released. The 2nd issue regarding logging script commands is a consequence of a design change betweeen V5.3 and V6.0, where we now only log during the test run - ie. the script command logging that occurs before or after the "RUN" commands are no longer logged. We are still investigating what we might be able to do about this.

Regards,
      Ian

Comment

Richard,

We have released a new build of BurnInTest V6.0.1007 that I believe resolves this issue.

The new build can be downloaded here:
        http://passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm

Please let me know if the issue has not been resolved.

Thanks.
        Ian

Comment

Understand Ian, so I will give that new build a try and let you know how I make out. Thank you.

Comment

Well it took awhile, but I finally had a chance to try out the new v6.0 build (1007) and all of the issues that I originally reported have been resolved.

However, I noticed under the new build that the text log file no longer includes the Notes section at the bottom. It had been included there with both v5.3 (build 1036) and the previous v6.0 (build 1002).

I also would expect the text log file to have the machine type and serial number included under the General portion of the System Summary.

This information is once again available in the pre-test script feedback though, so neither are big issues.

Comment

In resolving your original issues, we decided to only include the Notes section in the System information, General section (rather than being duplicated across multiple sections).

The Machine type and serial number are included in the System summary, General section. Please check that you specified these and save them as defaults? If you have, can you post a sample log file?

As an example:

PassMark BurnInTest Log file - http://www.passmark.com
              ================================================== ======
              Date: 04/27/09 10:51:39
              BurnInTest V6.0 Pro 1007
              Customer: <customers name>
              Technician: <technicians name>
              Logging detail level: Normal
              SYSTEM SUMMARY

GENERAL
              System Name: VISTA1
              Motherboard Manufacturer: http://www.abit.com.tw/
              Motherboard Name: A-N78HD(MCP7
              Motherboard Version: 1.x
              BIOS Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
              BIOS Version: 6.00 PG
              BIOS Release Date: 04/28/2008
              Machine type: <Machine type>
              Serial number: <serial number>
              Notes: <Additional notes line 1>
              <Additional notes line 2>
              <Additional notes line 3>

Regards,
              Ian

Comment

I specified those values (e.g. Machine Type, Serial, Notes) via the pre-test script and confirmed they are reported in the System Information dialog.

However, I did not save them as defaults due to the approach and, for the text log with the new v6.0 build, I am also not seeing them in the General portion of the System Summary. Therefore, here's a copy of the resulting text log:

Code:
                PassMark BurnInTest Log file  -  [URL]http://www.passmark.com[/URL]
                ========================================================
                Date: 04/27/09 10:28:10
                BurnInTest V6.0 Pro 1007
                Logging detail level: Normal
                SYSTEM SUMMARY
                Windows Vista Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 build 6001 (32-bit),
                1 x Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 423 @ 1.06GHz,
                1014MB RAM,

CD-RW/DVDRW, 

GENERAL
                System Name: MININT-3MH4MF4
                BIOS Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
                BIOS Version: 6.00 PG
                BIOS Release Date: 01/08/2009

CPU
                CPU manufacturer: GenuineIntel
                CPU Type: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 423 @ 1.06GHz
                CPUID: Family 6, Model E, Stepping C
                Physical CPU's: 1
                Cores per CPU: 1
                Hyperthreading: Not capable
                CPU features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 DEP PAE 
                Clock frequencies:
                   Measured CPU speed: 1023.1 MHz
                   Multiplier: x8.0
                   Scalable Bus Speed: 133.3 MHz
                   Front Side Bus: 533.0 MHz
                Cache per CPU package:
                   L1 Instruction Cache: 1 x 32 KB
                   L1 Data Cache: 1 x 32 KB
                   L2 Cache: 1 x 1024 KB

MEMORY
                Total Physical Memory: 1014MB
                Available Physical Memory: 654MB
                Memory devices:
                   A0: 
                   - DDR2, 1024MB, 
                   A1: 
                   - Not populated 
                   A2: 
                   - Not populated 
                   A3: 
                   - Not populated 

GRAPHICS

DISK VOLUMES

DISK DRIVES

OPTICAL DRIVES
                D: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7640S (CD-RW/DVDRW)

NETWORK

PORTS
                   USB not detected
                DETAILED EVENT LOG
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:10, Status, PassMark BurnInTest V6.0 Pro 1007
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:10, Script, SETMACHINETYPE "ValueLine IPC" 
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:10, Script, SETSERIAL "DEV0000001" 
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:10, Script, SETNOTES "Blind Celeron with XP - Blind Uni" 
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:11, Status, PassMark BurnInTest V6.0 Pro 1007
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:12, Status, Main Tests started
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:12, CPU, 3DNow! SSE4.1 SSE4.2 SSE4a test(s) selected, but CPU feature not detected
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:12, 2D Graphics, 2D test starting: Duty cycle = 100. Test on primary monitor (0). (x,y) = (0,400). WxH = 300x200. 
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:16, Network 2, User set Network timeout exceeded. 
                INFORMATION:  2009-04-27 10:28:16, Plug-in, ERROR: UPS test failed as found CTS to be OFF.
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:18, Network 2, User set Network timeout exceeded. 
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:20, Network 2, User set Network timeout exceeded. 
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:22, Network 2, User set Network timeout exceeded. 
                INFORMATION:  2009-04-27 10:28:24, Plug-in, ERROR: UPS test failed as found CTS to be OFF.
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:24, Network 2, User set Network timeout exceeded. 
                INFORMATION:  2009-04-27 10:28:26, Plug-in, ERROR: UPS test failed as found CTS to be OFF.
                INFORMATION:  2009-04-27 10:28:27, Plug-in, ERROR: UPS test failed as found CTS to be OFF.
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:28, Network 2, User set Network timeout exceeded. 
                WARNING:  2009-04-27 10:28:29, Network, Not enough packets sent to verify error ratio
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:29, Network, Send attempts: 6 Errors: 6
                LOG NOTE:  2009-04-27 10:28:30, Status, Test run stopped

RESULT SUMMARY

Comment

OK. I see the problem.

We will aim to fix this in the next minor release of BurnInTest.

Thanks.

Regards,
                  Ian

Comment

Great, thanks Ian.

Comment

We have released a new build of BurnInTest V6.0.1008 that resolves this problem, available here:
                      http://www.passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm

Please note that SETSERIAL, SETMACHINETYPE, SETNOTES, SETCUSTOMER, SETTECHNICIAN script commands must be included as the first commands in a script so that the report settings are included in the log file System Information section.

Regards,
                      Ian

Comment

I tried out the new v6.0 build (100 and this aspect now works as expected, so thanks Ian.

Comment

Working...
                        X