WLAN and WAN radio testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLAN and WAN radio testing

The products that I work on have WLAN and WAN radios built into them. i would like to know if BIT has the capability of testing these devices.

Upcoming: We will also have to test BT, firewire and legacy PS2 ports. I am looking to get as close to 100% test coverage with no user intervention.

If you are interested in seeing the products we sell:

www.itronix.com

You can use the existing network test that is in BurnInTest.

You can do this by setting up a networked remote machine. Then in BurnInTest you can enter in the IP address (or network machine name) of this remote machine. BurnInTest will echo data off the remote machine.

This assumes that the unit under test only has the wireless card as a method of access the network. If it had multiple methods of access to the network, then you need to take some extra steps to ensure the traffic is routed out throught the wireless card.

We are also planning two other changes in a future software release.
    1/ A more advanced network test that will provide better support for machines with multiple network cards.
    2/ Software to monitor and log wireless network radio levels.
    E-Mail us for more details.

> We will also have to test BT, firewire and legacy PS2 ports.

I assume BT = BurnInTest? Or am I missing something?

For testing Firewire I suggest using the existing hard disk test within BurnInTest and an external Firewire connected disk drive.

I assume you are using your PS2 ports for a keybaord and a mouse? We don't have any utility or hardware that places long term load on these ports but you could do a simple test by just seeing if a keybaord and mouse work.

------
    David
    PassMark

Comment

Our computers have multiple active radios and it is my desire to be able to test each one. I would like to direct a ping, hands free, to WLAN, NIC, WAN and Bluetooth(BT).

If possible, Can I write a script that would turn off 3 of the three and test the one that is left active?

As for the PS2, I will most likely be testing these computer at a very low temperature, -20C, and will not be able to touch them. A hands free operation is what I am searching for. I know I can remote a KBD and mouse but would prefer to loop back.

Itronix

Comment

We don't know of any script that can be used disable / enable network connections.

A better solution might be for us to make a beta version of our new network test available. Then you can try testing all the connections at the same time. (Assuming they all support TCP/IP). E-Mail us for details.

I have never seen or heard of a keyboard or mouse loopback plug. There are devices on the market that trick the BIOS into thinking there is a keyboard or mouse present (for headless servers) but these are not true loopback plugs. A true loopback plug takes the output from the computer and loops the output back into the computer. In the case of a mouse and a keyboard there is no output to loop back. That is to say, no data is sent to a mouse becuase it is a input only device.

It would be possible to develop some hardware that simulated the use of a keyboard and mouse but it would required a reasonable amount of development.

A cheap and quick approach might be to use a normal keyboard and place a small weight on the space bar (say a book for example), so that it triggered the auto-key repeat. Then use an application like KeyboardTest to monitor the key presses arriving to see if the port is working.
        http://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm

If you were really desperate you could rig up an optical mouse on a rotating disc or plate, to get continuous mouse input. (Imagine holding the mouse still and spinning the moue pad underneath it).

Or we could do some custom hardware / software development to come up with a better solution depending on your buget.

--------
        David
        PassMark

Comment

"A better solution might be for us to make a beta version of our new network test available. Then you can try testing all the connections at the same time. (Assuming they all support TCP/IP). E-Mail us for details. "

I would like the oppurtunity to test this beta version as I try to move towards my goal of a hands free test at -20C.
          cox@itronix.com

Thanks

Comment

Advanced Network Test

A link to the Beta version of BurnInTest with an Advanced Network test has been sent to your email address.

Best regards,
            Ian
            PassMark Software

Comment

Working...
            X