Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% operation of tests

Hi again,

Is there any issue running all the standard tests at 100% utilization (ie, CPU@100%, RAM@100%, 2D@100%, etc)? Is this not recommended for general production line type burn in scenarios? If no, why not? Are there any types of known failures we should expect in that scenario? What kinds of considerations should be made when deciding how hard to run all the tests?

(FYI, I am using the newest BIT Pro for both x86 and x64 and also got that packet error issue another poster recently pointed out when running the test as a loopback at 100%)

Thanks!
    -S

In general there is no point running all tests at 100%. As if you run the CPU test at 100% duty cycle, then there won't be much if any free CPU capacity for any other test that you run. Which can then result in timeouts.

The disk test is the slowest but doesn't use much CPU time so I would suggest running the disk test at 100%. Then adjust the other tests so that the CPU load is around 90% and 99% on average. The exact duty cycle setting required will depend on your hardware.

Comment

Best Configuration

I hope that this reply is not supposed to go to a new thread. I am new so not that familiar yet.

I was thinking along the same line that you would want to run everything maxed out to put the system under the most extreme conditions to see if failure is imminent. I see that my thinking was wrong and I appreciate the clarification which makes sense, especially regarding the amount of load on the CPU.

I downloaded this (BIT v6) so that I could ascertain whether or not I just bought a lemon and return it before the no questions asked period ended. I still have about five days before that runs out and then I will have to deal with techs. I have one of the dreaded Core i7 920, Pegatron Trukee 1.04E01, BIOS 5.24, which by the time I received mine most of the BSOD and freezes were worked out with mobo and BIOS rev.

So what I would like, if anyone wouldn't mind, I would be so grateful, is to tell me the best configuration, load per component, how long do I run the test for, should I run the all test, or do individual and all. I have run most of the components seperately except network, which won't run because it says I need to be logged in as an administrator, which I am the *&%* administrator but it won't let me run that test. I have tried to run a few Passmarks but I don't understand what disks to use for the disk mark test. Actually I do know to use something like an "Office" disk for the CD mark test. So the scores I have are not as good as they could be due to no results for some of the disk test. The best I have so far for a Passmark Benchmark test is 1874, although when I did the CPU Mark I got a 5841, #14. I am not at my computer at this time so as to be able to give detailed specs, but I think what I can give should be enough so that you can provide me with some general starting points for burnin. I really am only interested in the burnin test for now so I can see if this is a keeper. I realize that this will be general suggestions and that I will have to see what is best for my system. This is a great forum and the administrators are so helpful, as I am not an IT professional but I do have lots of experience in voice networks(transmission side).

Elite e9280t w/Win 7 64 bit
      Core i7 920 2.67 MHZ X58
      Pegatron Truckee 1.04E01 BIOS 5.24 AMI
      8GB DDR 3 PC3 8500 4 DIMMS
      1TB Raid 0
      ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB
      HP 2159m 1920/1080 Full HD/LCD
      Atheros W/LAN 802.11 a/b/g/n
      2 gigabit network?
      15n1 Media card reader
      Sound Blaster sound card 7.1
      DVD/CD R RW DL (HP GH40L)
      IBM Deluxe Wireless Keyboard
      HP Wireless Optical mouse
      Altec Lansing 2.1 external speakers

I hope this is enough and thanks for any and all help

Comment

In terms of duration you would really want to leave the test running long enough to do at least 1 full pass on the hard drive. To get this done as quick as possible, set the disk test to 100%. Then adjust the other tests so that the CPU load is around 90% and 99% on average. You would probalby want to run at least the CPU test, the memory test, the 3D test and the disk test.

To run BIT as the true admin user, right click on the Icon and select "Run As Admin"

Comment

Network Test

I ran the BIT for Network yesterday. I ran the first one at 88% just to see what it would do. All went well. So, I ran the next at 100% and my AVS blocked it saying there was a host intrusion. I guess it thought I was attacking my own computer, LOL! Is this unusual? Or do I need to adjust AVS or disable? I am running Norton.

Comment

We haven't heard of this before. The network test activity obviously triggered something in Norton AV. But yes, either turn it off, or make an exception for BIT.EXE.

Comment

BIT Network Test

I tried some more network test at 100%. I did this with and without combining other test. Every time I got the timeout error sending packets. The host address is the default one. I do not have an ethernet connection nor do I even have an ethernet cable hooked up. I use strictly wireless-Atheros Dualband Wireless Network Card, 802.11 a/b/g/n. My card for the ethernet is the 2 gigabit network card but as I said I don't use it. When I run BIT at less than 100% it passes. I did a diagnostics on the Network cards and had no problems, although the only test I can perform is on the Wireless card as I don't have anything hooked up to the other card. I don't understand why it times out at 100% and not anything under. Could the problem be the delay setting or some other setting. I pretty much have everything at the default setting.

Comment

Testing the network card without a network connection is not a very effective test method. We would strongly recomend having a (stable) network connection estabilished before testing the machine. Idealy this would be a cross over cable to a 2nd PC on ethernet. Wireless connections are never 100% stable.

The default setting is the local loop back address, 127.0.0.1. and the default test is a ICMP ping. There is no flow control for ICMP so it is fairly easy to get timeouts.

100% load means the CPU sends the packets as quick as possible, it doesn't mean the network card can kept up.

Comment

Network Test

Thank you. That clears things up pretty much. I suspected I would not get a good test without being connected on the other card. I just wanted to make sure the card was ok. Since I have never had any network connection problems I am just assuming for now the card is ok. If I did get a "Pass" at 88% is that telling me the Network cards are ok?

Comment

Working...
                  X