Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinPe 3.0 & bt1019 bug

Hi

There is a bug with the latest version of burnintest in win pe enviroment.
    I get a blue screen (stop 000000X8E) intelppm.sys hangs some seconds after i press the test button.
    I have this problem only with certain hardware compinations like asus p7p55-m with i7 (860) or asrock h55m-pro with i5 650.
    Both machines are stable with other diagnostics. It seems that this problem is cpu driver related, because if i change cpu to i3 for example, test run as it should be.

I think it is unlikely to be a bug in BurnInTest as we have had no other reports of this problem (and of course we have also tested on Core i7's and Core i5's on Windows 7).

In saying this, I have not tested with WinPE 3.0 yet. It could be that the version of the Intel power management driver is not the latest in the WinPE 3.0 build. I would check that you have the latest WAIK or OPK from Microsoft and retry the build.

It could also be that the sytem is missing other drivers, or has the wrong versions. I would try just the CPU test by itself to see if the problem still occurs. You might also reduce the CPU tests being run to see if that makes any difference.

I would think that it is BurnInTest provoking a system problem, most likely the Intel power management driver. You might also try just building Windows 7 directly on the system (without WinPE) and try BurnInTest in this environment to see if this has the same problem.

Comment

I think that it is a bug because, in the same enviroment with older version of burnintest (6.0 beta 1000 14) i don't have this problem.

I have allready try to run tests with disabled cpu test. I get the same result. After 3-5 sec blue screen even with only hdd test enabled.

In the same pc when i install seven and run the burnintest from the os everything is ok. Strange it seems smt is missing from pe. I've made the pe with the final rtm version of opk.

Comment

When you say the old Beta build does not have the problem, are you sure it is exactly the same configuration (SMART logging setting etc).

Does the problem only occur if you run the disk test. What if you try only the memory test at 1% duty cycle.

Comment

yes exactly the same configuration ...
          The problem appears as i said in the first post with specific hardware configurations and only with the latest version. It doesn't happen with all tested pcs and it doesn't matter if i choose only hdd test or only memory test etc. After some seconds i get the blue screen. Every time the same message about intellppm.sys. If i change the cpu to i3 or i7 920 for example i can run the latest burnintest version with the same pe for hours.

Comment

I will try WinPE 3.0 and see what I find.

Comment

Currently we have standardized on WinPE 2.x and this is what we have documented and use in our PC Test Kit Product (http://passmark.com/products/pc-test-kit.htm).

Due to the effort involved in moving to WinPE 3.0 and our belief that the problem reported is a system problem with WinPE 3.0, as a BSOD is typically caused by a hardware problem or driver problem, and as such it is more likely that BurnInTest is provoking a system problem. If it was a BurnInTest problem, it would be more likely that BurnInTest would crash. So it is hard to see how this could be a BurnInTest problem and we have decided not to install and test with WinPE3 at this stage. Sorry.

If we get further reports of this problem, we will consider further investigation. Otherwise our timeframe to move to WinPE3.0 is yet to be determined.

Comment

I'll try, and report if winpe2 solve the problem, but for me it is more possible to be a bug.As i said, with exactly the same winpe3, older version of burnintest is working fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian (PassMark) View Post
                  Currently we have standardized on WinPE 2.x and this is what we have documented and use in our PC Test Kit Product (http://passmark.com/products/pc-test-kit.htm).

Due to the effort involved in moving to WinPE 3.0 and our belief that the problem reported is a system problem with WinPE 3.0, as a BSOD is typically caused by a hardware problem or driver problem, and as such it is more likely that BurnInTest is provoking a system problem. If it was a BurnInTest problem, it would be more likely that BurnInTest would crash. So it is hard to see how this could be a BurnInTest problem and we have decided not to install and test with WinPE3 at this stage. Sorry.

If we get further reports of this problem, we will consider further investigation. Otherwise our timeframe to move to WinPE3.0 is yet to be determined.
                  There should not be any differences in moving BIT to WinPE 3.0. The instructions should end up being the same as far as putting BIT on there, although the WinPE build instructions are different because of the use of DISM instead of PEIMG.

If its worth anything, we won't likely be moving to WinPE v3.0 with BIT because we only use x64 version of 3.0, and still use WinPE v2.1 x86 for BIT. However, if it becomes possible to either enable DirectX for sound, 2D or 3D testing, I will definately be interested in that.

Sorry if this is a thread hijack.

Comment

WinPE 3.0 is on our list to test.

Comment

Actually, I can confirm actacus' error; I have the exact same blue-screen on a test system consisting of a DP55WB motherboard with a Core i5-661 CPU. Environment is WinPE3.0 x86. I can also say that intelppm.sys is the Microsoft-provided driver for the Intel CPU itself; not a power management driver. I can also confirm that this seems to be an issue with the Core i5 series specifically, as I have tested server systems that have hyper-threading and utilize the same CPU driver (Intel SR2600URLX platform with Xeon X5570 CPUs) and haven't had the issue at all.

I'm trying to confirm if this issue was introduced on a recent build of BIT 6.0 Pro, but I've been scouring the internet for older builds and have found absolutely nothing older than build 1019 - I can, however, confirm that the issue exists in builds 1019, 1020 and 1021. Is there a repository with the older builds so I can see if one of them fixes the issue?

Comment

Update: I found a build 1013 in the annals of the internet and tried it; I can confirm that the error does not occur in this build. At some point between build 1014 and 1019, the Core i5 gets broken in BIT on WinPE 3.0. Since I have tested other systems that use the same CPU driver - intelppm.sys - with no issues, I believe that there is something wrong with the way BIT addresses the Core i5 series specifically.

Comment

Thanks for the information. Based on your testing, we have made a change to BurnInTest that we think could resolve the problem. As you are using 32-bit WinPE3.0, we have made a new build of 32-bit BurnInTest Pro. Can you please try the new build:
                          http://www.passmark.com/ftp/bitpro6.0.1023.0001.exe

Please let me know if this does or does not resolve the problem.

Comment

Worked for me lan. I was having BSOD with Intel cpu I5 in win PE and not anymore. Thank You

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. This change is now included in the public release V6.0.1023.0003 available from here:
                              http://passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X