Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian (PassMark)
    replied
    The internal loopback 127.0.0.1 destination address will work with the Standard network test if the IP stack is installed in the operating system and the routing table for 127.0.0.1 is configured. We recommend using an external IP address for the standard network test, rather than the internal loopback 127.0.0.1. This is a more complete test.

The Advanced network test is not supported when run under WinPE.

You will need to use the standard network test. Ideally with an external IP destination address on your test network (e.g. your server or router). If this does not work, coudl you please let me know what the error message is in this case?

Leave a comment:

• thanh
    replied
    the same issue with NIC testing in winpe 3

Originally posted by Nosfer@tu View Post
    Hey Passmark.
    I dont know if it is the specific machine having some problems since I cant select the physical network card manualy.

If I try and use the standard test and give the adapter an ip adress to use for it self, I get a "time out whil ewaiting for packet".

Giving it an Ip adress for the machine running endpoint.exe doesent work either.

If I then use the dropdown menu to select ethernet, burnintest is able to validate and identify the network card, but still I cant get anything working except local standard test.

The local 127.0.0.1 standard test only works if I dont specify ethernet, but when I specify ethernet it is able to detect the network card.

I built a test image myself using winpe version 3 32 bit, BIT version 6 build 1025 .
    The laptop has 1 Gb NIC.
    No NIC driver installed.
    I set NIC test standard, set 2 NIC test , address 127.0.0.1
    It works. why?
    I reduce to 1 NIC test, it also works.

I then install NIC driver ( intel NIC), I use config menu to set NIC advance test by choosing the card from a drop down list; it fails with all tests from 127.0.0.1 to specific IP on the network ( packet error...).
    I then set back to the previous setting that used to work, now it fails
    There is no way for it to pass the NIC test except I load the first-time-working config file.

It is weird.
    This is not the first time I encounter it.

Anyone can explain it.
    The NIC driver works fine in streaming 12GB OS image to the local hard disk.

Thanks,

Thanh

Leave a comment:

• gillianreynolds
    replied
    It has to be the VIA CN board. I have several VIA systems and they all enable USB 1.1 instead of USB 2.0. No matter how many times everyone has asked for the change over the past few years, Via still doesn't get it.

The problem is that anyone building a board using a VIA chipset re-uses the same BIOS in the VIA reference designed. There are many VIA systems out there with the same issue. ICOP recently updated they BIOS to support USB 2.0, and they boot to XPe via USB.

-gillian reynolds

Leave a comment:

• Tripredacus
    replied
    I maintain multiple WDS Servers, including 2003 x86, 2008 x64 and 2008R2 x64. You cannot use a 64bit WIM in a 32bit Server OS, but you can use either in a 64bit Server OS. My production WDS runs the 2008 x64 and has WinPE 2.1 x86, WinPE 3.0 x86 and WinPE 3.0 x64 WIMs loaded into Boot Images.

Leave a comment:

• Ian (PassMark)
    replied
    Are you using \mount\windows\system32\startnet.cmd or Winpeshl.ini to start the Parallel port driver?

net start parport
    devcon install x:\windows\inf\msports.inf ACPI\PNP0401

or
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\devcon.exe, "install x:\windows\inf\msports.inf ACPI\PNP0401"

Leave a comment:

• Nosfer@tu
    replied
    Originally posted by Tripredacus View Post
    Hello Nosfer@tu,

What PXE are you using? If you are using WDS, you can put your WIM that BIT is in the Boot Images section of WDS. If you are using Linux PXE, I have no experience in that.[/list]
    1. The Vista drivers you need for Mass Storage are only needed if you can't see the Hard Disk once you boot into it. It is a simple test to boot into the PE and use Diskpart to see if you can see the drives. If you can, you don't need to worry about the Mass Storage Controller drivers. In my experience, I've only had to inject drivers for RAID controllers.

2. You may have made a typo in your OSCDIMG command syntax. Use this example from IcemanND's WinPE 2.0 Guide:

Code:
    oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso
    Thx sir, I will have to try your boot code sugestion there m8.
    Just dont understand why my UFD works, but burning to a CD/DVD dosent work, but I will figure it out.

note to self:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-6441e7e7f6ed/

WDS:
    I am using WDS, but I was not able to load the .WIM file into WDS,

I figured it was because I was in Win2k8 X64 and trying to load a .WIM based on vista 32 bit- Or so I think the Passmark UDF is.

My WDS died, the stupid disk I had placed my wmware files on went bunkers/died

Im back to square 1 now, So I just got a new Win2k8 x64 up and running.
    Now I have to DC Promo it, add DHCP, DNS and WDS.

Parallel port.

On my KT780G amd motherboard and in W7 the Parallel port works perfect.
    I can see via our dos tools that it works, it has an adress and is initialised.

My modded UFD cant find the Parallel port, not even in the drop down list.

Leave a comment:

• Tripredacus
    replied
    Hello Nosfer@tu,

What PXE are you using? If you are using WDS, you can put your WIM that BIT is in the Boot Images section of WDS. If you are using Linux PXE, I have no experience in that.

• Vista32 drivers for Win Pe 2.1 - I dident know they where what I should use.

1. The Vista drivers you need for Mass Storage are only needed if you can't see the Hard Disk once you boot into it. It is a simple test to boot into the PE and use Diskpart to see if you can see the drives. If you can, you don't need to worry about the Mass Storage Controller drivers. In my experience, I've only had to inject drivers for RAID controllers.

2. You may have made a typo in your OSCDIMG command syntax. Use this example from IcemanND's WinPE 2.0 Guide:

Code:
    oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso

Leave a comment:

• Nosfer@tu
    replied
    Just tried to make a .iso file so I can deploy it via PXE.

Im trying to do this on a Windows XP machine,

Is this why I cant get the .iso cdrom to load ?
    "Bootmgr is missing" and I get no where

Damm if only I had more sleep

CDBOOT: Couldnīt find BOOTMGR
    I used this command to make the .iso and I copied the modified .wim from my UFD where it works fine.

I take it this is because the boot manager is looking for the UFD and not a cdrom drive ?

oscdimg -n -h -bc:\pctk\boot\etfsboot.com c:\pctk\iso c:\pctk.iso
    Last edited by Nosfer@tu; Jun-03-2010, 08:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ian (PassMark)
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know how to get support for audio and 2D/3D graphics in WinPE. One of our customers indicated they were looking at a bootable version Windows embedded to try and get the graphics working so these could be tested.

I think this support will have to sit on my TO DO list for a bit longer. If any BurnInTest users have this working with WinPE, please let us know.

Leave a comment:

• Nosfer@tu
    replied
    Thx mate.

Got it working now.
    Testing Lan and usb, lan is a bit different in win Pe, but just entering the DNS name of the machine I want to test against works.

My problems so far:
    • Vista32 drivers for Win Pe 2.1 - I dident know they where what I should use.
    • Did not format the USB disk correctly.
    • Was not clever enough to figure out the start.cmd and winpish.ini could be found on the harddrive after mounting the boot.wim image from the Passmark UFD.
    • Boards are defaulte USB 1.1 = Monster slow boot time.
    Used the UFD, untill everything is ready,
    Then I will figure out what was wrong.

Questions:
    If I can include audio drivers and intel GFX drivers.
    Can I then test 2D/3D and Audio ?

Props
    I would like to extend my apresiation for your great service.
    Passmark and especialy you IAN has always treated me like the nr 1 customer. You guys BLOODY ROCK

And Im a Vbulletin Ninja, so when ever you decide to upgrade to 3.8.5 or 4.0.3 please let me know...

Leave a comment:

• Ian (PassMark)
    replied
    1. I cant get a new USB stick working, detection of it as a bootable media does not work.

1.1 If I use my self created .wim image and overwrite the file on my passmark UFD I can boot on it. Will try again today.
    To be bootable the UFD needs to be formatted as described in our WinPE document 10b. To make a bootable USB Flash Drive (UFD) and the Windows Image (.WIM) needs to be valid. As the PassMark bootable UFD works (which is formatted as per 10b) I assume you new UFD is not formatted to be bootable.

2. Im not sure about how the UFD will detect/determain if it is a 32 or 64 bit system? Is this all about enabling/disabling the 64 Bit settings in bios ?
    It doesn't. You would need to build seperate 32-bit or 64-bit Windows images. The PassMark bootable UFD is 32-bit.

3. I tried to get the USB driver installed, but could not figure out if how to or if I needed to install the chipset driver in order to get USB working.
    Based on the tested I did with the PassMark bootable UFD, you only need to add the PassMark USB 2.0 Loopback plug device drivers. The USB subsystem drivers are included in WinPE 2.1 (and I assume WinPE 3.x).

3.1 Does my drivers need to be specific for win PE ?
    My lan driver is a .exe file, and In the old days we could aways unpack them. Not easy now - EDIT I could do it with 7-zip
    Winrar og Winzip did not want to work.
    http://www.7-zip.org/
    Not specific to WinPE, but the drivers need to be specific to the version of Windows you are building. For example if you use WinPE 2.1 (Vista) with a 32-bit build (step 1 in the document 1. Create the base PE source), then your drivers need to be for 32-bit Vista.

What is my hddc mass storage driver ?
    I take it that this is the southbridge driver ?

Im trying to make the UDF for a KT965
    For me this is Intel 965 chipset & ICH8DO southBridge.

Im not what drivers I need from the chipset package.
    In all of my testing the only drivers I needed to add to the Windows image were so I could test specific hardware, specifically PassMark USB 2.0 Loopback drivers. Described in section 4. Install the required device drivers.
    A customer actually provided the documentation for installing specific Hard Disk controller drivers, I don't know which drivers they were - I didn't need to add any HDD controller drivers. You may not need to either - I would first test without adding these types of drivers.

Also, I had to install the drivers for serial port and parallel ports. Described in section 6. Automate the launching of BIT.

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Nosfer@tu
    replied
    Reading the PDF and trying once more.

Im at point
    4. Install the required device drivers
    Install the NIC and Mass Storage drivers that you need.
    peimg /inf:c:\bitpe\drivers\nic\*.inf c:\bitpe\mount\windows
    peimg /inf:c:\bitpe\drivers\hddc\*.inf c:\bitpe\mount\windows
    What is my hddc mass storage driver ?
    I take it that this is the southbridge driver ?

Im trying to make the UDF for a KT965
    http://de.kontron.com/products/boards+and+mezzanines/embedded+motherboards/flexatx++microatx+motherboards/kt965flex.html
    For me this is Intel 965 chipset & ICH8DO southBridge.

Im not what drivers I need from the chipset package.

Leave a comment:

• Nosfer@tu
    replied
    I cant seam to get this working.

1. I cant get a new USB stick working, detection of it as a bootable media does not work.

1.1 If I use my self created .wim image and overwrite the file on my passmark UFD I can boot on it. Will try again today.

2. Im not sure about how the UFD will detect/determain if it is a 32 or 64 bit system? Is this all about enabling/disabling the 64 Bit settings in bios ?

3. I tried to get the USB driver installed, but could not figure out if how to or if I needed to install the chipset driver in order to get USB working.

3.1 Does my drivers need to be specific for win PE ?
    My lan driver is a .exe file, and In the old days we could aways unpack them. Not easy now - EDIT I could do it with 7-zip
    Winrar og Winzip did not want to work.
    http://www.7-zip.org/

Leave a comment:

• Ian (PassMark)
    replied
    One of our users has let me know that there are no functional differences in using WinPE v2.x and WinPE v3.0 x86 for BurnInTest Pro.

That post is here:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/1439...ost__p__924290

Note, however, that in WinPE 3.0, there are different steps to create the WinPE itself, as well as inject drivers. DISM has replaced PEIMG in the new WAIK for Windows 7. An example of making a 64bit WinPE can be found here:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/1380...-pe-30-x64x86/

If making x86 winpe, you just use x86 instead of amd64.

We have not yet tested with WinPE 3.0 and will update our documentation when we have tested the process.

Leave a comment:

• Ian (PassMark)
    replied
    You need the OPK or the WAIK. We have tested with
    Windows PE 2.x using the WAIK, not 3.0 (Windows 7).

To download the WAIK noted in my earlier post, you don't need to be a Microsoft OEM. The environment we have tested with uses the Microsoft WAIK DVD image, 6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso, available from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

As you say, you do need to be an OEM to get the OPK (OEM Pre-intall Kit). We will update our document to make this clearer. Sorry if you wasted time because of this.

If you have the peimg problem with WinPE 2.x, e.g. "6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso" please let me know.
    Last edited by Ian (PassMark); May-18-2010, 11:37 PM. Reason: link updated

Leave a comment:

Working...
X