3D tests cause computer to lock solid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D tests cause computer to lock solid

I have a Win98 system with a fresh install of Windows, all updates, and TNT2 video card. I've tried three different NVidia drivers, and three different NVidia cards (TNT2, GeForce MX, and GeForce 5200.) All tests pass fine, except 3D tests, which run for about 10 seconds and then lock the computer up solid. I'm thinking it must have something to do with the motherboard (I've updated the VIA drivers for it too) and the AGP transfer. Does that make sense?

T

It is very hard to know where the fault it. It takes so little to lock up Windows 98. Could be hardware or might still be some incompatibility between NVidia drivers & your hardware.

Most software developers (us included) are spending almost no time testing their software on Windows 95/98 now. Windows 95/98 makes up only 2 -3% of the market now and developers can save a lot of time by not testing on Window95/98. So some new software runs on Windows 98 even worse than the old software (which was tested properly on W9.

On top of this most W98 will be infected with a virus about 2 to 5 minutes after being connected to the internet. Making W98 impossible to work with.

In short, upgrade to Windows 2000/XP/2003 as save yourself a lot of grief.

---
    David

Comment

Originally posted by PassMark
      not testing on Window95/98. So some new software runs on Windows 98 even worse than the old software (which was tested properly on W9.
      So I'd be better off using an older version of BITPro to test Win98 machines? If so, do you have an archive with the last recommended version for Win98? I still get in a fair number of Win98 machines, so I need to be able to test them.

T

Comment

For Windows 95 and NT4 we suggest BurnInTest V3.0. Here is the old download link,
        http://www.passmark.com/ftp/bitpro_old301016.exe

For Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/2003 (32bit) we recomend V4.0 which was released in 2004.
        http://www.passmark.com/ftp/bitpro.exe

We are developing V5 of BurnInTest at the moment. We have still not decided if we will support Windows 98 for V5.

As your problem is just with the 3D tests I would,
        1) Try running a few other 3D applications on the machine. In particular dxdiag.exe & maybe a recent game that uses DirectX8/9. If they all work it is more likely that the problem is with BurnInTest and Window98 and particular hardware or software.

2) Try running the old version of BurnInTest. It used the old DirectX 3. If this works it is more likely your problems are software related and not hardware.

---
        David

Comment

Thanks! I'll give your suggestions a try. I really appreciate your help.

T

Comment

Working...
          X