Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I test the first block of a USB flash drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I test the first block of a USB flash drive?

I am wondering if anyone knows how I can test the first block of a USB flash drive. I have downloaded the BurnInTest V7.0 pro but didn't find this option. More generally, can I repeatly test a specific block on the USB flash disk for specific times?

Thanks and best regards,

Johnny

What is a block?
    Do you mean a cluster or a sector?

If you want to test just a small portion of a drive, then I would suggest partitioning the drive into volumes of the required size. Then just running the disk test on the volume.

Comment

Hi, Passmark,

Thanks for your reply. When I said "first block", I mean the very first block of the whole NAND flash. Since the USB flash is built on NAND flash. I believe the first block of the NAND is conresponding to the first sector of the flash disk. I just want to test the endurance of the flash. Is there a way to access the very first sector of the USB flash disk by your tool? Or can I access a specific clustar and sector of the USB flash disk?

Thanks and best regards,

Johnny

Comment

In the Windows file system, the term block, doesn't have any official definition as far as I know. The underlying storage media (magnetic or solid state) doesn't effect the division of the drive into sectors or clusters.

Different drives do have different sector and cluster sizes.

But if you are just wanting to do an endurance test, I would suggest doing what I suggested. You might end up writing to more than a single sector, but that doesn't matter I would think.

Comment

Thanks a lot! Your suggestion is very helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X