Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIT 7 Network non-internal loopback

Hello,

I have a computer with a motherboard that has two network ports on it and I want to perform a loopback test that will also test the physical connectors I am plugging into. So this would be a loopback test that is not the internal 127.0.0.1 loopback.

I want to either use 1 Ethernet loopback cable for each port or a crossover cable of some sort that connects both ports together to perform the loopback test. This is a feature I would really like to see built in to BIT.

Perhaps someone out there has already figured out a way to do this and can share with me how to do this.

I do not want to have to use a router or URL because those are extra failure points that could cause a false failure.

Thank you for your time.

This isn't something we currently support.

But there is no need to use a 'router' nor 'URL' for the advanced network test.

A cross over cable to another PC should work OK.

Comment

Hello Passmark Admin,

I am really wanting to keep as much hardware out of the equation as possible and the ability to do the test with just a cable of some sort is something that makes testing much easier especially if you have to go to a test lab in another city.

So my understanding is that a crossover cable connected to the two Ethernet ports on a single motherboard won't work but a crossover cable to the port on a different computer will. I really wish there was a way to test network ports all the way to the i/o connector without the need for a router, or other computer.

I do appreciate your time. If the test I am wanting to perform is possible I hope that Passmark considers adding it to a later release. I can still get the test done but would like to simplify it a little more.

Thank you

Comment

The minimum hardware you need to test the network ports on a system, including physical connectors is to use the Standard network test and specify destination addresses of some hardware with an IP address on your test network, like a router or server. This will loop network data at this destination address.

Comment

Working...
        X