Error when starting BIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error when starting BIT

I am working on a windows 2000 machine with BIT installed. When I start BIT I get an error that says "Directio.sys could not locate entry point PSGetprocessID in driver ntoskrnl.exe"

I click through and BIT comes up but I can't see a lot of the components like drives, cdrom etc.

Has anyone seen this? How can I fix it?

We don't support Windows 2000 with the latest V7 release of BurnInTest.

Directio.sys is used to collect some hardware system information details and do the low level hardware interaction required for tests like the parallel port test.

Comment

I'm using BIT V6. Is there a way around this problem? Maybe wiping the OS and running BIT from a bootable USB Drive? I'm really new to this software.

Comment

I am seeing the same error when starting v6 running on a clean install of 2000 w/ SP4. My key need right now is testing the parallel and serial ports on some vintage machines, so I installed the trial version of BIT to see if it will work for what I need. (As it stands now, the blank hard drive was formatted, Win2K was installed, updated to SP4 and BIT v6 was installed to the drive.)

As it relates to that, in addition to the error above on startup, I'm also getting a message that the parallel port driver isn't installed (or maybe it's that it can't be found), so 50% of my needed tests can't be run. I just didn't know if this startup error was related to the parallel port driver error.

Thanks for any help.
        Last edited by SVJeff; Sep-18-2013, 06:56 AM. Reason: Added install info

Comment

Directio.sys also contains the code needed to access the parallel port.

The missing function, PSGetprocessID, appears to only have been included in Windows XP and later releases. So it is missing from Windows 2000.

Windows 2000 is pretty old now. Some options would be to

A) Install XP on the machine rather than Windows 2000 (Or even Win7/8 for that matter)

B) Go back even further in time and try V5.x or V4 of BurnInTest. These releases were out around 2004 to 2007, so we still would have been supporting and testing on Windows 2000 at that point.

Comment

Thanks. I'll download v5 and post back the results.

---edit---
            OK, here's where I stand now... version 5 ran the test fine under Windows 2000 but I get an error message with the parallel port - the sent and received data doesn't match and I'm asked to make sure the plug is installed. To try and eliminate the cause, I tried it on 3 separate computers - 2 vintage Dell towers running v5/Win2K and 1 running v6/XP - all gave me the same error. I then installed v6 on a newer Dell XP system and got the same parallel error. So now I'm trying to figure out if the software is incompatible with what I need (or Dell systems) or if I got a bad loopback plug.

Thanks for any pointers.
            Last edited by SVJeff; Sep-18-2013, 07:47 PM. Reason: added test results

Comment

What loopback plug are you using? One of ours plugs or one from somewhere else?

Comment

One I bought from a computer parts place here in the US

Comment

That is most likely the problem then.

There is no global industry standard for parallel port loopback plugs. For the plug to work with our software it needs to conform to the pin outs described here,
                  http://www.passmark.com/support/loopback.htm

Comment

Working...
                  X