Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disk timeout value

Hello,

Does any know what is the timeout value used for disk access? 5 second? 10 second?

Thank you.

CM

I don't think there is one. What makes you suspect there is?

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      I don't think there is one. What makes you suspect there is?
      I think there is such value because I see the timeout error reported from the BurnIn software.

Does anyone see the timeout error too?

Comment

What is the exact error message displayed, and which test is it displayed for?

In older versions of BurnInTest (early V6.0) there was a watchdog timer on all tests, "No operations reported in timeout period": There where no operations during the last watchdog time period (2 minutes) or the test did not start. This error is a warning that investigation is required.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian (PassMark) View Post
          What is the exact error message displayed, and which test is it displayed for?

In older versions of BurnInTest (early V6.0) there was a watchdog timer on all tests, "No operations reported in timeout period": There where no operations during the last watchdog time period (2 minutes) or the test did not start. This error is a warning that investigation is required.
          I don't remember what the exact error message is. The message is displayed when I conducted test on HDD.

Let me ask in the another way. If the disk does not respond, how will Burn-in software handle? Any timeout mechanism? Or will the software become non-responding because of a pending I/O operation?

Thank you.
          Last edited by cmcheung; Jun-19-2012, 05:52 AM.

Comment

BurnInTest does not explicitly set timeouts on the disk test writes, reads and seeks.

There is a timeout on unmounting volumes from a physcial disk when testing a physical disk number (rather than a disk volume).

There is also a timeout on retrieving SMART data from a disk.

There is a seperate software thread for each BurnInTest disk test. So, generally speaking, if there is a serious error with a disk where it does not respond to a write, read or seek, then that disk test software thread will block (hang). BurnInTest itself will not hang.

In saying this, it is also possible that the disk device driver could include a timeout, and hence return to BurnInTest with a failure. It is possible this is reported as a timeout in the more detailed BurnInTest logs.

Comment

Working...
            X