Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many duty cycles do you suggest for various laptops.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many duty cycles do you suggest for various laptops.

Hi,

I want to know if it makes sense.
    Setting all test items to 100% of duty cycles and thought that laptop have problem on it when some errors were reported by BurnInTest v8.1.
    I thought it's normal but my customer didn't. He set all test items to 100% of duty cycle and got some error on our laptop.
    He thought our laptop have some problem on it. it should get no error while he set all test items to 100% of duty cycle and then run.
    I cannot find any suggestions for duty cycle settings in BIT_Users_Guide_Ed8_1.
    I want to know how many duty cycle do you suggest for various laptops.

PS:Same laptops were all able to pass on default 50% of duty cycles.

Best,

Jesse

100% for everything isn't optimal in general. But this doesn't justify getting some errors.
    50% for everything is too low, in general.

See this page for details. Under the heading,
    "What duty cycle setting should be used?"

Comment

Hi David,

BurnInTest will take all resources while running with 100% duty cycle of CPU on i7-8700K or i7-8700 of CPU.
      Other CPUs were fine and only happened on both of CPU.
      Have you ever tested this CPU with 100% duty cycle of CPU.
      System will freeze/hang for 5~10 seconds every 3 mins during running.

Comment

Please see the video below, system froze at 00:37
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC8D...ature=youtu.be

With the i7-8700K of CPU, I want to ask you whether you will recommend with by default 50% instead of 100%.
        Thanks.

Comment

It is normal and desirable for a burn in test to fully load the system (this is the fundamental purpose of the software after all).

If your system permanently freezes then you have a hardware problem or device driver problem. If you get short freezes, then this might be disk swapping, video card device driver crashes, thermal throttling, low level errors reading optical media.

50% is too low, in general. See this page for details. Under the heading,

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.
            It just got short freezes while CPU reached to 100% of load in the task manager.

You want to test the whole system: Turn on all applicable tests (those that correspond to the hardware in the machine).
            Then adjust the duty cycle settings until the CPU load is around 95% to 99%.

So I should check task manager to decide how many duty cycles I should set to?
            I have just tried it and saw my CPU load will reach to 99% when I set a 75% duty cycles for all items that are supported by my laptop and kept Disk at 100% of duty cycle.
            So I can set the settings above and run it for 24 hrs to check the stable of my laptop, right.

Comment

We only make suggestions, We don't know anything about your business needs and stability requirements. i.e. you might test a home gaming machine differently from an aircraft flight computer.

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks.
                I just want to test the stability on some laptops for personal use in home not special environment.
                If it is just a laptop like that, do you recommend I test them with the duty cycles as I said above.

Comment

I have tried a lot of tests for this and found only i7-8700 or i7-8700K have this problem when over 80% of duty cycle.(50% is fine) The unit that installed i7-8700(K) , the BurnInTest will have a 99.8% loading of 100% CPU loading in the task manager so system will have a short hang
                  but with other CPUs on same unit, the BurnInTest only have a 95% loading of 100% CPU loading and then system worked fine without any short hang
                  when I set the duty cycle over 80%.
                  Have you ever tested the two CPUs on your side? How can I do to let you see this? log ?

Comment

How can I do to let you see this?
                    We aren't concerned. I don't think we need to see it.

If the 5 second freeze is bothering you then you need to do some basic investigation into it and narrow down the possibilities.
                    Check the CPU and system temperatures. Run just one test at a time (e.g. just the CPU, or just the RAM test). Check for errors in the Windows event log. Check for device driver crashes. Check the amount of free RAM and see if disk swapping is occurring, etc..

Comment

Because BurnInTest v8.1 b1024 will finally crash, I found that the 5 second freeze is the cause of crashing.
                      So could you please help check if there is any different thing on the i7-8700 CPU when the duty cycles are 100%.
                      I know we should figure it out ourselves but we have checked everything and no any problem was found on the i7-8700 laptop.

Comment

We have no reason to think there is anything special or incompatible about the i7-8770 CPU. No one has reported any problems with any of the Intel Coffee Lake series of CPUs.
                        So it is more likely something special about your particular system.

It make no sense at all to drop one of these 65W CPUs into a Laptop with a GTX 1070 150W Video card.
                        It just isn't possible to dissipate that amount of heat from a small surface area. It is just asking for problems.

Comment

Working...
                        X