BITest v3 1007 running under Linux debian question/problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BITest v3 1007 running under Linux debian question/problem

Hi, As title says I'm running burnintest v3 rev 1007 under debian squeeze. We were running rev 1004 with good success. Decided to try rev 1007 today and found that the CPU-Maths tests don't report any operations. This works fine in rev 1004 (I can run both revs on the same machine). I loaded the same config file for both and tried from scratch with the same results. All other tests (i.e. graphics, ram, hd etc) seem to be run fine with either rev.

Any ideas?

We can't seem to reproduce this, could you please send us a copy of the config file so we could test it here.

If you go into the test preferences and check the settings for the CPU test is at least one of the test options checked (general purpose, floating point etc)?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim (PassMark) View Post
      We can't seem to reproduce this, could you please send us a copy of the config file so we could test it here.

If you go into the test preferences and check the settings for the CPU test is at least one of the test options checked (general purpose, floating point etc)?
      It doesn't seem to matter if I load a configuration or not - the results are the same. Also all options under cpu-maths are checked (by default I believe). I've tried un-checking all but one and it doesn't make any difference. As I said the older version on the same system works fine.

Comment

Could you please run BurnInTest in debug mode using the command line parameter -d, start the test, let it run for a minute or two before stopping and exiting BurnInTest and then send us a copy of the debug.log file that is created.

Comment

Could you please run BurnInTest in debug mode using the command line parameter -d, start the test, let it run for a minute or two before stopping and exiting BurnInTest and then send us a copy of the debug.log file that is created.
          Done - thanks.

Comment

Thanks, it appears there is an issue with Debian (32bit build date Sun May 6 04:01:19 2012) not reporting the correct information about the Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, no information about the number of cores, siblings or processor ID is reported. This meant BurnInTest was not starting any CPU test threads.

The 6.0.6 64bit live boot version of Debian does not have the same issue.

For the next build of BurnInTest we'll make some changes so if it detects 0 CPUs/cores a warning message will be logged and at least one test thread started, so the test will still run (though not at full capacity).

Comment

Thanks, it appears there is an issue with Debian (32bit build date Sun May 6 04:01:19 2012) not reporting the correct information about the Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, no information about the number of cores, siblings or processor ID is reported. This meant BurnInTest was not starting any CPU test threads.

The 6.0.6 64bit live boot version of Debian does not have the same issue.

For the next build of BurnInTest we'll make some changes so if it detects 0 CPUs/cores a warning message will be logged and at least one test thread started, so the test will still run (though not at full capacity).
              Thanks for the help. If I may make a suggestion - see what changed between versions 1005 and 1007 for this test. My version of 1005 appears to run the CPU-Maths tests without any problems. It's only the 1007 version (I never tried 1006) that exhibits this problem. I'd prefer the full functionality I had with 1005 over a limited capacity test.

Thanks again,

Jim

Comment

Some changes were made to CPU detection between these builds which could have resulted in 1007 returning a CPU/Core count of 0 while 1005 could have returned CPU/Core count of 1 so 1005 would still not have been running 4 test CPU threads as expected for a quad core CPU.

The Debian version in question is not returning any of the cpuinfo fields we can use to determine how many cores are available (currently we use the physical id and cpu cores fields to determine how many physical CPUs are installed and how many cores they have).

Comment

Some changes were made to CPU detection between these builds which could have resulted in 1007 returning a CPU/Core count of 0 while 1005 could have returned CPU/Core count of 1 so 1005 would still not have been running 4 test CPU threads as expected for a quad core CPU.

The Debian version in question is not returning any of the cpuinfo fields we can use to determine how many cores are available (currently we use the physical id and cpu cores fields to determine how many physical CPUs are installed and how many cores they have).
                  I am also not seeing any CPU tests run under 1007 with a Celeron 440 CPU, below is the log file output. System is running 64 bit CentOS 5.x

PassMark BurnInTest Log file - http://www.passmark.com
                  ================================================== ======

BurnInTest v3.0 (1007) Linux 64bit
                  Logging detail level: Normal

SYSTEM SUMMARY
                  Linux 2.6.18-274.7.1.el5
                  0 x Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 440 @ 2.00GHz
                  1.0 GB RAM

GENERAL
                  System Name: sa2500
                  Motherboard Manufacturer: Supermicro
                  Motherboard Model: PDSMP-JN1
                  Motherboard Version: PCB Version
                  Bios Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies LTD
                  Bios Version: 1.13
                  Bios Release Date: 10/06/2008

CPUCPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
                  CPU Type: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 440 @ 2.00GHz
                  Speed: 1995.0 MHz
                  CPUID: Family 6, Model 22, Stepping 1
                  Socket: LGA775/U1
                  Physical CPU's: 0
                  Cores per CPU: 1
                  Hyperthreading: No
                  CPU Features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 PAE
                  Cache per CPU package:
                  L1 Cache: 16 kB
                  L2 Cache: 512 kB

Comment

There is an updated build now ready for download from http://www.passmark.com/ftp/bitlinux3.0.1008.tar.gz, if the number of CPUs cannot be detected then at
                    least 1 CPU thread will be started and a warning will be added to the log.

Could you please post the cpuinfo for your CPU (cat /proc/cpuinfo) so we can see why BurnInTest isn't calculating the correct number of test threads to start.

Comment

Here is the cpuinfo.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
                      processor : 0
                      vendor_id : GenuineIntel
                      cpu family : 6
                      model : 22
                      model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 440 @ 2.00GHz
                      stepping : 1
                      cpu MHz : 1994.997
                      cache size : 512 KB
                      fpu : yes
                      fpu_exception : yes
                      cpuid level : 10
                      wp : yes
                      flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc up pni monitor ds_cpl tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
                      bogomips : 3989.99
                      clflush size : 64
                      cache_alignment : 64
                      address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
                      power management:

Comment

There is an updated build now ready for download from http://www.passmark.com/ftp/bitlinux3.0.1008.tar.gz, if the number of CPUs cannot be detected then at
                        least 1 CPU thread will be started and a warning will be added to the log.

Could you please post the cpuinfo for your CPU (cat /proc/cpuinfo) so we can see why BurnInTest isn't calculating the correct number of test threads to start.
                        Thank you! build 1008 works for my CPU test now.

Comment

Originally posted by victorz View Post
                          Thank you! build 1008 works for my CPU test now.
                          It works for me as well - Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X