Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BurnInTest "failure of an unknown test element"

Good Day

I am new here and currently using a trial version of BurnInTest Version 9. I am considering paying the licensing fee for the program, but I have a question that I can’t seem to find an answer for.

I have 9 hard drives running in my computer. All but one of them passed the test, but the error that showed up in the log was a bit confusing. I will simply paste in the error that showed up and hope that someone can tell me what this means. I am assuming that any error such as this must mean that the drive (A Western Digital WD20EADS-00R6B0 2TB) is on its last legs or is about to fail. But I am not completely sure. That’s why I am here to ask the experts for their opinions. The error message is listed below.

Disk I: 0 857 FAIL 1 The last self-test routine completed with a failure of an unknown test element.

SERIOUS: 2018-08-12 15:04:08, Disk, I: The last self-test routine completed with a failure of an unknown test element.

I have searched this forum and the internet for a clue as to exactly what this means without success. I have already moved all of the data to a brand new 10TB HGST drive, but I would like to know what I should do with the Western Digital 2TB drive.

I have downloaded a number of different drive monitoring programs and they all say that the drive is in good health. That is where my confusion comes from. I trust the PassMark data because their software has been around for many years. I simply don’t know how to interpret it.

I thank you in advance for your insight and advice.

Best Regards
    Michael (ufo1947)

In the preferences window, there is the option to check SMART data and run a drive self test.

Our DiskCheckup software also allows a self test to be run. As does the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics software.

As to exactly what a self test does, and what errors are reported, it is up t the individual manufacturers of the hard drives. But generally any failure is bad news.

Comment

Working...
    X