• Show
Clear All

• BurnIn test - Disk Test - Test FIle Size

My test configuration is the default:
    Test mode: Default (Cyclic)
    File size (% of disk): 1.0
    Block size (KB): 4096

My drive (eMMC SSD) is reported as follows:
    C: Local Drive, \\?\Volume{e377d444-d698-4b08-a036-2a124ae12214}\, Windows, NTFS, (49.87GB total, 38.65GB free)

Disk drive: Model: Toshiba 064G30 Serial: N/A (Disk: 0, Size: 58.24GB, Volumes: C

Looking for help or confirmation of the following:
    1 - my disk is reported as 58.24GB - with 49.87GB total, and 38.65GB free

Q = what is the 1% burn-in test write size? 1% of 58.24GB? or 1% of 49.87GB? Or 1% of 38.65GB?

2 - how does block size (= 4096) effect the nature of the data written? (For example, is the 1% test file written out as a series of 4096KB files?

3 - what is the nature of "cyclic" data?

Thanks.

1. The test file % is based on the total size for the drive (when testing physical disks) or the partition size when testing an individual partition.

2. The block size controls the amount of data read/written from/to the file at a time (per operating system call), a larger block size usually results in faster reads/writes.

3. Cyclic means it cycles through the available patterns, there is more information about the patterns in "Disk test suite" under the "Test descriptions" section of the help file.

Comment

Sorry, but I still need some clarification. As you can see from the attachment, my active C: partition is 49.88GB. The total drive space is 58.24GB and reported by the BurnIn report as follows:
      =======
      Disk volumes:
      C: Local Drive, \\?\Volume{c230e55c-b6fd-40ea-b065-22a99d4a9838}\, Windows, NTFS, (49.87GB total, 38.65GB free)

Disk drives:
      Disk drive: Model: Toshiba 064G30 Serial: N/A (Disk: 0, Size: 58.24GB, Volumes: C)
      =======
      So my questions are:
      1] Will the 1% file size used in the BurnIn Disk Test be 1% of the disk size? (58.24GB * 0.01) ..or.. 1% of the Windows Partition? (49.8*GB * 0.01)
      2] And exactly how large will that file be? For example, if the file size is based on drive space of 58.24GB: is the file size calculated as: (58.24GB * 0.01) = 582.4MB = (582.4 * 1024 * 1024 Bytes)? Or (58.24 * 1000 * 1024 Bytes)? Or (58.24 * 1000 * 1000 Bytes?)
      3] Will the BurnIn disk test write only to the Windows Partition? (The EFI and Recovery partitions are left untouched)

Many thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1504
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	44249

Comment

1) It is 1% of the volume (i.e the partition size). This is assuming you testing the volume, and not the physical drive.

2) It is more complex than your example as there is rounding to the block size. But you can just check the files on the disk to know the exact answer. For example on my machine I get,
        Volume size 1,500,299,390,976 bytes
        Preference setting 1%
        Preference block size 4096 bytes
        Test file size 14,998,831,104 bytes

3) It will test whatever volumes and physical drives that you select to be tested

Comment

OK, I think I got it now. The only trick for me was to capture the test file, because the program erases the test folder/file upon a normal stop action. Probably a setting somewhere I missed...

I was able to make a copy of that test file by setting the test duty cycle to 1% and making a copy of the test file after it was written.

Thanks for the assistance.

-Doug

Comment

If you want to keep the disk test files around, there are several command line parameter options that you can specify:

----------

-K

Keep disk test files. Specifies not to delete the disk drive test files when an error (e.g. Verification error) occurs. This is intended to assist investigating disk errors. It is recommended that this option is used in conjunction with the Auto Stop Tests on Error feature within Preferences. Once the test files have been investigated, they should be deleted manually.

-KA

Keep disk test files. Specifies not to delete the disk drive test files, in all cases. Once the test files have been investigated, they should be deleted manually.

----------

Additional (unrelated) command line parameters can be found in the help manual.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer. I haven't tried using command line mode yet.

-Doug

Comment

Working...
              X