Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

automated report name or manual input for automatic report saving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• automated report name or manual input for automatic report saving?

Hello,

I'm looking to boot BurnInTest over the network using WinPE, I intend to automatically start BurnInTest and run the report information by using command '-M' and then running a custom script with '-S'

I'm considering BurnInTest for use in a production line environment, so the users would input the details of the machine, most importantly serial and machine ID, for the machine ID I intend to use the asset number of the machine (this is a number given to the machine by us, there is no inputting this manually). That's fine as it's a simple case of the engineer inputting the asset number from the machine to the report information, same for the serial number.

Now, what would be great is if the script could pull this information and automatically name the report with the machine ID number and save on a networked drive somewhere.

I'm VERY new to using the script frunction and command line function of BurnInTest, so any help would be very very appreciated.

Thanks!

The serial number and machine ID fields from the report information dialog can be used as part of the log name prefix by using the "%REPORTSERIAL%" and "%MCMACHINEID%" flags in the logging options / SETLOG script command.

Comment

Hello Tim,

Thank you so much for your help regarding this topic.

I have tried this and got nowhere, BIT seems to name the file %MCMACHINEID% rather than pulling the machine ID from the report information; is this due to the fact I'm using an older version of BIT? (8.1) and this was not implemented?

I also can't seem to save any report as a HTM file, they all save as a .LOG file.. would you be able to give me an example command I can throw into the script just to see it working in action?

I have some more questions for you as well:

1) When booting BIT in WinPE, is it possible to save reports to a network location? Manually OR Automatically? Without the management console?

2) Using the evaluation copy, is there anything which will restrict me on the automation side that I should know about?

3) I'd like to know how the licensing works, if we purchase say 20 licenses to start off with; would this mean we can only test up to 20 machines at a time using BIT? Does this apply to booting the software strictly off WinPE?

4) Are the licenses permanent or do they expire?

Your software looks really good and I geneuinly can't wait to implement it as part of our computer hardware testing process, but first I need to prove to the people above me that it works efficiently so I'm going to try and automate it as much as possible with the evaluation copy first.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

I have tried this and got nowhere, BIT seems to name the file %MCMACHINEID% rather than pulling the machine ID from the report information; is this due to the fact I'm using an older version of BIT? (8.1) and this was not implemented?
        Yes this flag was added in Version 9 and is not present in older builds.

I also can't seem to save any report as a HTM file, they all save as a .LOG file.. would you be able to give me an example command I can throw into the script just to see it working in action?
        You need to use REPORT HTML, All the options for the SETLOG script command are listed in the "Scripting test preferences" section of the help file (in Test automation and productivity -> Scripting a series a tests)

1) When booting BIT in WinPE, is it possible to save reports to a network location? Manually OR Automatically? Without the management console?
        If you have setup your WinPE environment so it can access a network drive then yes you should be able to save reports to that network drive as long as BurnInTest can see the drive.

2) Using the evaluation copy, is there anything which will restrict me on the automation side that I should know about?
        The trial version is limited to only testing for 15 minutes at a time

3) I'd like to know how the licensing works, if we purchase say 20 licenses to start off with; would this mean we can only test up to 20 machines at a time using BIT? Does this apply to booting the software strictly off WinPE?
        Yes, you need 1 license per machine that is running the software, or has the software installed at the same time.
        You could have a mix of machines that are booting from WinPE, USB or local installs as long as that number doesn't exceed the amount of licences you have.

4) Are the licenses permanent or do they expire?
        The licences are permanent for that version of BurnInTest.
        There are free upgrades and technical support for 12 months after purchase, so if a new major version is released in those 12 months your licence will by upgraded to the new version.

Comment

Working...
        X