Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU, SERIOUS: Incorrect 128bit (SIMD-SSE) floating point addition

Hi,

I recently had various issues on my pc, so I decided to use BurnInTest to check if one component has to be replaced.

Code:
    SERIOUS ERROR SUMMARY FOR THE LAST TEST RUN
    SERIOUS: 2020-07-26 19:22:57, CPU, SERIOUS: Incorrect 128bit (SIMD-SSE) floating point addition (x 1102)
    SERIOUS: 2020-07-26 19:23:01, CPU, SERIOUS: SSE operation verification failed (x 90)
    The problem is that I don't know which component should I replace, if the CPU or the motherboard ... I'd rather avoid buying another CPU just for testing purpose.

I ran the tests with log trace level 1. If they can be useful, I would gladly share the logs but I just can't figure out a way to do that

Thanks
    Simone

So the CPU did some floating point maths and got the wrong answer.

Something like.
    1.5 + 1.5 = 4.1.

So this can be due to bad RAM or a bad CPU.
    I'd try using MemTest86 next to see if the RAM is bad.

Comment

Thank you kindly for your fast reply.
      I ran MemTest86 and the results were good, even though it faced some visual oddities (only during some "hammer tests").
      I made some photoes of those oddities, maybe they are typical for this kind of test, can't tell ...
      So could it be the CPU ? Is there a chance that it's the motherboard instead?

Simone

Comment

I don't understand ... today to try something different I replaced my graphic card with an older one, ran again BurnInTest on CPU and no error showed up
        Any guess?

Comment

No, strange visual artefacts are not normal during MemTest86.

Having a bad video card cause visual artefacts is fairly common.
          But having a bad video card cause CPU errors isn't common at all.
          Is the power supply adequate for the machine?

Comment

I thought it was, maybe it's not ... It's the only reasonable explanation in fact.
            My mobo has 2 8-pins power connectors, but since the PSU has got only one of them and theorically the second one is not mandatory, I thought it would have worked. It did for two weeks, then some issues showed up. With hindsight, for a 12-cores CPU the second power connector should be mandatory.
            I'll have to replace the PSU I guess, It could have been worse.

Thanks again, you have been really helpful, and so are these PassMark products.

Simone

Comment

Working...
            X