Computer hangs with BurnInTest Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer hangs with BurnInTest Linux

I modified a kubuntu image to include BurnInTest so I can use that to image computers. The problem is, no matter what I do, it keeps crashing. I can do all sorts of things, I can use the browser, run stress-ng, etc. That's, until I start BurnInTest and start to run it. I currently tried several levels of CPU testing. Even with the stock settings (with the CD removed), it still hangs. The PC doesn't get hot, it just hangs. I've tried it booting from USB and booting it over PXE.

Is it only freezing on one particular system or on different systems with different hardware?

Is it only the CPU test that triggers the lock up?

What sort of CPU is the system using?

What version of Kubuntu are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim (PassMark) View Post
      Is it only freezing on one particular system or on different systems with different hardware?

What sort of CPU is the system using?

What version of Kubuntu are you using?

Tried it on different hardware with the same results. It's on Kubuntu 18.04. it appears to work fine if I don't start it with sudo.

Comment

When you say different hardware, do you mean a different machine with the same hardware specs. Or a totally different machine with different hardware specs?

What are the full machine specs?

Do you have the logs from BurnInTest?

How long does it take to hang the system? Immediately on test start or after hours or days of testing?

Comment

I don't get e-mail updates on this so if i don't reply, that's why.

I tried multiple devices from different manufacturers.

Examples that went wrong of a known manufacturer:
          Lenovo T570, Core i7, Nvidia card, 32GB RAM
          Lenovo T530, Core i7, Nvidia card, 16GB RAM,

I don't have logs because it's on a live system that crashes. You can't get the log files back after a reboot.

It usually crashes within 2 minutes, sometimes instantly. It doesn't seem to be the CPU test. I currently suspect RAM test, which doesn't work if not using sudo. But I still have to verify that.

Comment

You can't get the log files back after a reboot
            Yes you can. Having a system reboot doesn't wipe the hard drive.

Try running just one test at a time to narrow down the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post

Yes you can. Having a system reboot doesn't wipe the hard drive.

Try running just one test at a time to narrow down the problem.
              I'm sorry I thought this was more clear but after reading it again, I see that I should have made this a bit more clear.

"I modified a kubuntu image". I'm running it on a custom kubuntu based ISO without an installer, with burnintest installed on it. There is no harddisk with an operating system on it. A reboot means all data is gone.

Comment

Why ?

Why a read only ISO when you could use a R/W USB drive, which is also faster and has more capacity.

You setup isn't one we have ever tested.

Comment

Working...
                X