Valid network tests with BIT 7.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valid network tests with BIT 7.1

What is a valid test of network ports, when using Burn In Test 7.1?

I've tried 2 different tests with differing results, which one do I believe?
    1. PC with two ports looped back to each other with a CAT5 crossover (FAILED):
    2. PC with two ports connected via LAN to another PC, both ports configured to test a single destination IP address (PASSED).
    192.168.1.xy
    192.168.1.xy

BTW - I tried to attach a couple of BIT logs but your upload dialog rejected them as invalid.
    So can I trust these LAN ports or not?

My current guess is that test 2 is the right one, simply because it is consistent with the advise elsewhere, as far as using a remote machine's ip.
    More questions:
    a. Is it OK to use a single destination ip address, as long as I select "Test all available ports"?
    b. Why would the loopback test (1) be invalid?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

More details:
      I'm testing with BIT 3.1 on Linux (Xubuntu 12.04).
      CPU: Intel Core i7 2620M @2.7Ghz
      RAM: 4Gb (2x2Gb DDR3 1333Mhz).

Another question: Would there be any advantage in re-imaging and testing under Win7?
      Hoping someone with a bit of a clue is out there.
      Thanks again.

Comment

More test results (looks like the systenm under test has an intermittent fault):
        Retested PC with two ports connected via LAN to another PC, both ports configured to test a single destination IP address (FAILED).
        192.168.1.xy
        192.168.1.xy

Retested PC again with two ports connected via LAN to another PC, configured as follows with 2 destination ips (FAILED).
        192.168.0.xx
        192.168.0.xy

Thanks again.

Comment

The All available physical network ports is the recommended Test "Mode". In this case, one (destination) host address should be specified for each network port to be tested. The destination address can be the same address, like a server or router on your test network.

The destination addresses must be accessible to BurnInTest, i.e. ICMP packets must not be blocked. I would try pinging the destination addresses from the BurnInTest system.

If this does not help, you can send us a log file to:
          help [at] passmark [dot] com
          indicating which version of BurnInTst you are using.

Comment

Working...
          X