Avoiding installation of drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding installation of drivers?

Just wondering if there is a platform that Burnintest can be successful in testing all hardware components without requiring to find/load all machine specific drivers beforehand. I am somewhat tech savvy but I lack the understanding if this can be accomplished. For example, if I were to run this in Linux, will this still need specific GPU drivers to test the GPU and a driver loaded for a laptop webcam to be able to test said webcam? If I were to run this in windows without loading a GPU driver, does it in-fact test the GPU still?

I hope to use this software in an environment where I can test any computer, be it laptop or desktop or whatever without having to find all the drivers for every computer/device beforehand. Does WinPe do this? I am just not sure dude, thanks.

Impossible to answer. There is too much different hardware on the market.

Windows and Linux both come with a set of built in drivers that cover the most common hardware. So usually things like USB ports, hard drives, keyboards, mice, real time clocks, etc.. all just work without the user needing to install additional drivers. In some cases the driver included with the O/S is just a basic cut down version (like basic VGA graphics) and you only get the full function of the hardware (e.g. 3D DirectX 12) after installing the hardware manufacturers driver.

This can happen with even simple devices e.g. a mouse with 8 buttons and LED lighting might need a special driver to access the non standard buttons and the RGB lighting control.

In other cases, (especially in Windows) it might download the correct driver in the background from the internet some time after the machine has booted or as part of a Windows Update.

Comment

Working...
    X