Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnintest Serial Test in different operating system

Hello,

We conducted the serial test of Burnintest in the following conditions under Windows and Linux. However, we got different results and have a few questions about it.

Test 1:
    CPU: Intel® Xeon® D-1715TER
    Operating system: Windows server 2019
    Burnintest version: Burn in Test V9.1(100
    Burnintest test item: Serial test
    Serial Port #: 1
    Test Result: Run for 6hours pass without errors

Test 2:552
    CPU: Intel® Xeon® D-1715TER
    Operating system: CentOS 7.9 (64bit)
    Burnintest version: Linux Burn in Test V 4.1 cmdline version
    Burnintest test item: Serial test
    Serial Port #: 1
    Test Result: 1 error occurred "Corruption. Data received didn't match data sent"

All other conditions are the same in these two tests, including system, RAM, hard disk, COM port number, etc.

Q1. Since the system and other configuration is the same except for the OS, what is the possible cause of the different results in different OS??
    Q2. What is the difference of the serial test algorithm between Windows and Linux burnintest??

Please help answer the questions, thank you!

BR,
    Rosita​

There will be different device drivers in Windows and Linux.
    API to use the serial port (supplied by the operating system) is also different.

But serial ports were never meant to be reliable. 1 byte in error in 6 hours is acceptable (in my opinion) for a serial port.

Any serious use of a serial port will be using an Error correcting protocol. For example, kermit, xmodem, etc...

Comment

We have many models of tests are based on 12 hours of Burning, I would like to know how many errors are allowed in the 12 hours test for the serial port?​
      When we run the Burnintest, the CPU is usually set to 95% and the rest of the items are set to 100%.
      For the serial port item in Burintest if have any config we need to extra attention?

Comment

how many errors are allowed in the 12 hours test for the serial port
        There is no international standard for what is an acceptable bit error rate for a RS232 serial port.
        Or at least none I am aware of.

Ethernet, Wifi, USB, TCP/IP etc... all expect to get transmission errors as well. But they all have more robust methods of detecting and correcting errors (usually data transmission). The serial port doesn't.

So you might need to make your own decision about what error rate is acceptable. In my opinion a few errors per hour would be OK. But it depends on the application you are using the machines for. e.g. Medical equipment using serial ports should have a much higher standard (and should run some type of error correcting protocol).

Obviously the higher the transfer speed the more likely it is you will see an error.

Comment

Working...
        X