USB3 Superspeed (5Gb/s) taking long time to complete one cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB3 Superspeed (5Gb/s) taking long time to complete one cycle

When running the USB3 Superspeed test (5Gb) it is taking very long, around 1h 20m to complete one cycle (~15.127 billion operations). Is it possible to somehow shorten the time it takes to complete one cycle or are there a definite list of individual operations that it has to go through to ensure a fully functioning port?

The reason I ask is because our testing department rather prefer to use V4 when running these test because they are much quicker to complete one cycle. I'm sorry I don't have the numbers of operations to complete a cycle using V4.

Kind regards, Linus

Assume this is BurnInTest Linux?

USB3 test should take around 3 minutes for one cycle, shouldn't take 1hr+
    Check that you are testing on a USB3 port? Maybe test is running at High Speed (480Mb/s) instead of Superspeed (5Gb/s)?
    How much other load is there on the machine?

How long does it take in V4 to complete one cycle?

Comment

Correct, this is BurnInTest Linux, V5 build 1010.

I'm testing on 3 different systems with confirmed USB 3.0 (SS) ports. The loopbacks are showing 5Gb/s and the USB3 connection type is set to Auto.
      I'm running only the USB-test with two loopbacks connected. Normally we're running at 50% but it did not make any difference to it at 100%. During the tests the actual reported speed is jumping between ~1,100 - 1,600 Mb/sec on both systems. One of the systems is a custom built workstation and the other systems are an old vanilla HP laptop and a newer HP Elitebook laptop and the results seems to be the same on all of them.

I just updated the loopback firmwares to 2.7 and it didn't make any difference.

When running in V4.0 (1004) linux 64bit it takes around 4 mins to complete one cycle (~1.082 billion operations). The speeds reported during the test are the same as when running V5 so it seems that the amount of operations to complete one cycle is lower in V4 than in V5, hence it takes longer to complete one cycle in V5.
      Last edited by Linus; Apr-25-2024, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I am fairly sure there was no change to the operations per cycle in V5 (as compared to V4).
        We'll check the code however and get back to you.

Comment

Looking through our source code, seems we were using the same number of packets per cycle (8000) for both USB2 + 3 up until V4.1.1002. This was changed to 115000 to align with BIT Windows.

So it takes a fair bit longer to complete a cycle now. Though it would still mean that on whatever machine you are testing on, its running very slow... as it should typically take around 15 seconds to complete a cycle if using the old packets per cycle value.

Comment

Working...
          X