dxgmms2.sys BSOD crash with Win10 and nVidia Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dxgmms2.sys BSOD crash with Win10 and nVidia Drivers

We have had a few reports of crashes in the Microsoft dxgmms2.sys device driver.

The full name of the the dxgmms2.sys file is the, DirectX Graphics MMS. We suspect MMS = Microsoft Media Server.

The crash is a blue screen of death with the error cause, System service exception.

Looking into the crash dump shows this additional detail.

dxgmms2
    !VIDMM_CPU_HOST_APERTURE::UnmapRange+3a
    fffff801`47b81fba 488b0f mov rcx,qword ptr [rdi]

Speculation: An aperture is probably a reference to a PCIe memory mapped address range, used to transfer data from the CPU to the video card. Memory ranges might be being mapped and unmapped to perform data transfers. The software bug might be related to unmapping a memory range that wasn't currently mapped.

It only seems to be a problem with nVidia video cards and only in the latest patch releases of Win10.

To date the problem has been reported with only this specific combination of software / hardware.
    • Win10 build 10586 64bit (Threshold 2, Nov 2015 update)
    • Geforce GT740 and GTX Titan. (but many other DirectX12 nVidia cards have problems if you search Google)
    • nVidia Video drivers 353.30 until 359.06
    • BurnInTest V8 while running the video test (and many games)

A search on Google reveals this problem with dxgmms2.sys is very widespread. Causing similar crashes in a number of different games.

Some people have reported that cleaning out old video card drivers and installing them again might fix the problem. But we are a bit dubious of this. More likely it is a bug in the new dxgmms2.sys device driver that is provoked by some behaviour in nVidia's drivers.

Other people has reported that reverting to an older nVidia driver package (Version 347.88 for Window 8.1) will fix it, but this also means that the new DirectX12 functionality in Win10 will be lost. Further Windows will auto-update the driver when you aren't looking and break your system again.

Rolling back to early Win10 releases should also fix it.

I believe this is fixed in the latest Insider release, If anyone affected would like to test and verify, we'll soon know.

Comment

I am experiencing this problem on two separate builds of Win10 10586 builds. One with GTX 660 Ti the other with GTX 960 Ti. Couldn't find any workable solution (there is a long thread on this problem on NVidia forum as well: https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...n-dxgmms2-sys/) so I just signed up to the Insider Preview program. Need to wait a bit to be able to download the latest Insider release but will report back whether it solves the problem.

Comment

Thanks for the update. The release Sora is referring to is the Windows 10 insider Preview build 14257 released on 3 Feb 2016 to the "fast ring".

Comment

Fast ring just got updated to 14267

Comment

Originally posted by Sora View Post
            Fast ring just got updated to 14267
            Sorry for a later response - didn't have time to go through all the updates and checks.

I updated to version 14267 and run all the tests with BurnItTest and am not getting BSODs any more. I use to get one within 1-2 minutes after testing 2D Graphics together with Video both on 100% load.

I am not sure whether this problem persist in some other form elsewhere, but good to know it is going to be (consciously or not) addressed in the future release. I am going to check whether rolling back to older version of Win 10 (prior to November 2015 update) also fixes the problem. However, that route would also require turning automatic updates off in Windows 10, which is not a directly accessible in all Windows 10 types (I think it is only possible to [easily] do that in Win 10 Educational and Pro).

Comment

rolling back to the 10240 build will fix the issue, however the latest (March 1) servicing update package includes never versions of the affected file which has seemingly partially resolved the issue,.

binary version 10586.117

Comment

Originally posted by Sora View Post
                rolling back to the 10240 build will fix the issue, however the latest (March 1) servicing update package includes never versions of the affected file which has seemingly partially resolved the issue,.

binary version 10586.117
                Sora, what do you mean by "partially resolved the issue"? After installing the updates I stopped experiencing the BSOD at least during the BurnItTest tests.

Comment

Sora, what do you mean by "seemingly partially resolved the issue"? I can't reproduce the problem anymore via BurnItTest at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Quares View Post
                    Sora, what do you mean by "seemingly partially resolved the issue"? I can't reproduce the problem anymore via BurnItTest at least.
                    some users are experiencing corrupted graphics instead

Comment

This MAY have been reintroduced with the latest 14393.187 kernel updates

Comment

Confirmed this is still there. But it's only triggered trying to run a 4th monitor running on onboard graphics with Nvidia surround activated on the other 3. The moment I go into the windows settings and enable the 4th monitor - the system crashes with this error.

Comment

I just received this same message running Win10 64-bit with an MSI GT1050Ti (nVidia drivers of course). It is still there as a problem, but it seems to be a very rare glitch in the matrix since I have had this same system for several years.

Comment

Working...
                          X