Advanced network testing issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jay,

32-bit BurnInTest Professional V5.3.1007 with the Advanced Network changes that are outlined in this thread is now available from:
    http://www.passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm

The 32-bit standard and 64-bit versions are not yet available and are planned for later this week.

Once again, sorry for the delay.

Regards,
    Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Ian (PassMark) View Post
      Jay,

32-bit BurnInTest Professional V5.3.1007 with the Advanced Network changes that are outlined in this thread is now available from:
      http://www.passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm

The 32-bit standard and 64-bit versions are not yet available and are planned for later this week.

Once again, sorry for the delay.

Regards,
      Ian
      Hello Ian,

Looks like this version (5.3 build 1010) doesn't work under certain conditions:
      If I have one of the NICs disconnected *before* I start burnin with the standard networking test, and "Test all available NICs" checkbox enabled, the test passes. Doh!

Thanks!
      Last edited by Comark Corp; Sep-10-2007, 11:26 AM. Reason: clarification
      Jay W.
      Diagnostic Engineer
      Comark Corporation
      93 West St.
      Medfield, MA 02052
      http://www.comarkcorp.com

Comment

Originally posted by Comark Corp View Post
        Hello Ian,

Looks like this version (5.3 build 1010) doesn't work under certain conditions:
        If I have one of the NICs disconnected *before* I start burnin with the standard networking test, and "Test all available NICs" checkbox enabled, the test passes. Doh!

Thanks!
        Soo... Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks!
        Jay W.
        Diagnostic Engineer
        Comark Corporation
        93 West St.
        Medfield, MA 02052

Comment

Sorry I did not respond to your first (new) post.

If "Test all available NIC's" is checked then BurnInTest v5.3 will automatically route the test traffic over all Network adapters that are available and enabled on the system.

To be considered available, the NIC needs to have an IP address assigned. So, you are correct that NIC's without an IP address will not be included in the test. So you should connect the NIC's before testing.

Note: If there are no Network test operations, an error will be raised (e.g. no NICs are tested).

We will investigate changing this behavior in the next major version of BurnInTest.

Regards,
          Ian
          Last edited by Ian (PassMark); Sep-25-2007, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Sorry I did not respond to your first (new) post.

If "Test all available NIC's" is checked then BurnInTest v5.3 will automatically route the test traffic over all Network adapters that are available and enabled on the system.

To be considered available, the NIC needs to have an IP address assigned. So, you are correct that NIC's without an IP address will not be included in the test. So you should connect the NIC's before testing.
            This increases the risk of operator error allowing a system to pass, as well as the chance that a NIC port that is not functioning at all, will test as good. For instance, in a system with two or more NICs, if one of the following conditions is true for any one of the NIC ports:

1. The NIC cable is defective.
            2. The NIC connector is damaged and not making contact with the cable.
            3. The transformer is defective or completely missing from the system under test
            4. There is a complete failure of the NIC chip's interface.
            5. There are one or more open etches between the NIC chip and the transformer, or the transformer and the NIC connector.

The test will pass. I could come up with more reasons, but I think that illustrates my point fairly well.

Note: If there are no Network test operations, an error will be raised (e.g. no NICs are tested).

We will investigate changing this behavior in the next major version of BurnInTest.

Regards,
            Ian
            Thanks. So, when you say you will investigate changing this behavior in the next major version, does that mean that the failures I mention above will get caught? Also, the next major revision - does this mean 6.X or 5.X? Do you by any chance have a timeline for this?

Thanks again
            Jay W.
            Diagnostic Engineer
            Comark Corporation
            93 West St.
            Medfield, MA 02052

Comment

The auto detection of NIC hardware could be improved for the case where "Test all NICs" is specified and there is more than 1 NIC. It is however worth noting that auto detection by its nature includes hardware that can be seen by the software. In some of the cases you describe, I suspect that the NIC would not be visible to Windows. As such we believe the safest way to "Test all NICs" is for the user to specify the number of NIC's. While we have not yet done the design for the changes, we are thinking of making improvements along the following lines:
              1) Change the test such that each IP address correlates to a NIC to be tested. Hence if there are 4 IP addresses specified in Preferences->Network, then there will be an attempt to test 4 NIC's.
              2) Change the test around such that the Network 1, Network 2, ..., Network 4 displayed in the main window reflects the NIC under test, rather than the IP address destination.

We have started work on V6.0 of BurnInTest and when we have made the above changes I will send it to you.

Regards,
              Ian

Comment

The auto detection of NIC hardware could be improved for the case where "Test all NICs" is specified and there is more than 1 NIC. It is however worth noting that auto detection by its nature includes hardware that can be seen by the software. In some of the cases you describe, I suspect that the NIC would not be visible to Windows.
                Actually, in order for Windows to "see" the NIC, all that it requires is a functioning PCI interface. If there is ANY defect between the NIC and it's external RJ45 (or other) interface, The only thing Windows would be able to detect would be that the cable is disconnected, whether it can send and receive packets, etc. It would still show up in the device manager, and be listed as functioning.

As such we believe the safest way to "Test all NICs" is for the user to specify the number of NIC's.
                I agree. If there is any missing hardware in the system I would find it best if BurninTest would catch it. This holds true for serial, parallel and other devices as well.

While we have not yet done the design for the changes, we are thinking of making improvements along the following lines:
                1) Change the test such that each IP address correlates to a NIC to be tested. Hence if there are 4 IP addresses specified in Preferences->Network, then there will be an attempt to test 4 NIC's.
                2) Change the test around such that the Network 1, Network 2, ..., Network 4 displayed in the main window reflects the NIC under test, rather than the IP address destination.

We have started work on V6.0 of BurnInTest and when we have made the above changes I will send it to you.

Regards,
                Ian
                Thanks. I have two additional questions then:

1. What would be the upgrade cost for us? (I believe we have 40 some-odd licenses at this point.)

2. Do you anticipate this will happen before the end of the year?

Thanks again.
                Jay W.
                Diagnostic Engineer
                Comark Corporation
                93 West St.
                Medfield, MA 02052

Comment

Currently BurnInTest v6.0 is planned for early 2008. Prices are yet to be finalized. Historically, we have priced upgrades at 50% of the current retail price, with free upgrades for any licenses purchased within 6 months of the product release.

I will email you some Comark specific information.

Regards,
                  Ian

Comment

Working...
                  X