Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BurnInTest - Disk Test - Using AHCI driver - SLOW!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BurnInTest - Disk Test - Using AHCI driver - SLOW!!

While testing a system (with the Intel AHCI iaastor.sys driver loaded) it tests the hard drives very slowly (around .6 mbs for all 4 drives). Does Passmark support testing systems that use AHCI? or do i need to go back into the BIOS and set the SATA mode to Enhanced IDE to achieve old speed rate, which was around 25 mbs I believe. If i were to guess I think passmark tests using the directio.sys driver which accesses the drive through lbas. and under AHCI mode it doesnt like that...who knows? anyone?

I assume you mean "iastor.sys" and not "iaastor.sys" ?
    I also assume you meam 0.6 MB/sec and not .6 MBits/sec.

Yes we support AHCI if the correct settngs have been made in BIOS and the correct device driver is installed in Windows.

We do not use our DirectIO.sys device driver to access the hard disk. DirectIO.sys is used mainly for the parallel port test.

If you change no other settings, except the SATA interface method in BIOS, and the speed changes from 25MB/sec to 0.6 MB/sec, then you have a problem with your system in AHCI mode.

Comment

Your assumtions are correct. I was able to reproduce the situation using a reference design system based on the Intel E3100 chipset. I'm using Windows 2003 SP1 and using Intel® Matrix Storage Manager 6.2.1.1002 driver. I tried another test where I ran 4 instances of your other tool CDMAKER, and I was able get a sustained write speed to each drive of around 23 MB/s. So the only place where I see the slowdown is in Passmark BIT. Any idea why this is fast and BIT is slow?

Comment

In case anyone else has had this issue...
        Speeds seem to be back to normal when I use Passmark 5.2 with block sizes during the disk test of 1024 KB.

Comment

Working...
        X