Frozen on reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen on reboot

I am running BurnInTest V5.1 with the Rebooter on a Windows XP system. I'm running the test and then rebooting every 12 minutes. My unit under test has frozen on reboot three times (Windows splash screen with blue progress bar - after 71, 126, and 219 cycles). Any ideas on what the problem might be? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

It is not unusual for PC's to have problems shutting down or starting up. But unfortunately working out the cause of the problem can be very tricky. It could be a hardware issue, but buggy and poorly tested device drivers are also often to blame however.

Comment

Originally posted by jsmith16 View Post
      I am running BurnInTest V5.1 with the Rebooter on a Windows XP system. I'm running the test and then rebooting every 12 minutes. My unit under test has frozen on reboot three times (Windows splash screen with blue progress bar - after 71, 126, and 219 cycles). Any ideas on what the problem might be? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
      Try turning on the boot logging and/or debugging for XP; that way you can see where it's hanging. This requires making a change to your boot.ini file located in the root directory. See:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

The two switches you are interested in would be these:
      /bootlog

loadTOCNode(2, 'moreinformation'); This switch turns on boot logging to a file that is named systemroot\Ntbtlog.txt. For more information about boot logging, see Windows Help.

/debug

loadTOCNode(2, 'moreinformation'); This switch turns on the kernel debugger when you start Windows. The switch can be activated at any time by a host debugger that is connected to the computer, if you want to turn on live remote debugging of a Windows system through the COM ports. Unlike the /crashdebug switch, /debug uses the COM port whether you are debugging or not. Use this switch when you are debugging problems that are regularly reproducible.
      Last edited by Comark Corp; Feb-06-2007, 11:42 AM. Reason: remove extraneous text
      Jay W.
      Diagnostic Engineer
      Comark Corporation
      93 West St.
      Medfield, MA 02052
      http://www.comarkcorp.com

Comment

Working...
      X