Can I upgrade to this processor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I upgrade to this processor?

I have an Abit AA8-Duramax motherboard with 925x chipset, 775cpu support, and 800fsb

Abit no longer runs support for this board.

I currently am running a pentium 4 3.0ghz. I was looking to upgrade this along with several other things. I was disappointed to find out I can't upgrade to the dual and quad core processors. I have been told I may be able to use a pentium d chip, the benchmarks show the 3.4ghz version scoring fairly well. These chips seem very hard to find and I wanted to know if they would work or even be worth the the upgrade.

Thanks
    Last edited by Reebevoli74; Dec-02-2008, 12:37 PM.

Unfortunately we aren't the Abit help desk. And don't really know anything about this motherboard (which appears to be about 5 years old now, well before the Core 2 chips existed). I suggest you check the Abit site for products details.

I have edited your post to remove the potentially slanderous comments.

Comment

sorry about the comment(just my frustration showing)

To be honest it has been a really stable board for 4 years, and has been well worth my initial investment.

I'm upgrading from 1g to 4g of ram, from 6600gt card to 9800gt and was going to jump from 450w psu to 750w. I'm pretty sure this is going to make my cpu the bottleneck on this system. I use my pc primarely for gaming, if it is compatible would going from a Pentium 4 3.0ghz to a Pentium D 3.4ghz be worth the hassle?

thanks again.

Comment

Just found out it will support the Celeron D 3.2ghz chip and the p4EE 3.46, but not the Pentuim D. Would it really be worth the upgrade?

Comment

nevermind about the Celeron, I just was checking it on your benchmarks and saw it was actually a downgrade

Comment

My advice is to save your money for a while then upgrade the motherboard and CPU. In a few months the X58 and Core i7 system, will be mainstream. And other Core 2 CPU / MB prices will be cheaper.

Comment

Thanks, that's probably the best advice. I've just been getting impatient lately.
              Guess the p4s gonna push through at least to next spring.

thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X