processor comparison Xeon vs Core 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• processor comparison Xeon vs Core 2

There are 2 different type of processor in the market right now which Intel Core 2 Quad and Intel Xeon Quad Core, seem both processors also having a multi-core processor.
    In fact, anybody could tell me what's the different between these 2 processor?

There are far more than just 2 types of CPUs on the market at the moment. 200 might be a closer estimate.

The Xeons marketed for server machines. The Core 2 chips are aimed at desktop machines. The Xeons are generally more expensive and have a few additional features (most of which are of no interest to the home user). For example one of the major points of difference is the ability to put more than 1 CPU in the same box.

Comment

First of foremost thanks for your feedback.
      Yup, you're right. There is a plenty type of processor in the market. The reason I emphasize these 2 types of processor is because its related to my work. I come from engineering field (mould manafacture) who using 3D CAM software (Cimatron).
      Yes, you're right, the Xeon processor basically mainly for server and Core 2 for desktop or workstation. But right now, the Xeon type of processor has been upgraded even can be used for workstation.
      Could you specify and explain in detail about the few additional features which you mentioned? I keen to know that.
      I do not understand what you means about "ability to put more than 1 CPU in the same box. As I know that, Core 2 Quad & Xeon Quad Core is having 4 cores which built inside a CPU, right.
      I hope you continue to provide more information about these 2 types of processor in order I got enough info to make a good solution. Thanks.

Regards,
      TC.OW

Comment

I suggest you do some research on the web. Start with the Intel web site as they have the full specs of each of their CPUs. Then talk to the vendor who is selling you the CPUs. Then look for benchmarks specfic to your Cimatron software

Comment

Thanks for your advices. In fact I did with my software & hardware vendor. Regarding software vendor, so far they didn't practice to test & compare the hardware with thier software. They did provide me the spec but there is a min. required spec and we want more high-end one.
          The hardware vendor also doesn't have any comparison data so far. They even struggle to find out the different between the 2 processors.
          That's the doubts I face right now and the worst is 1 still can't get the best solution after few weeks. My management side is chasing me regularly.

Comment

Working...
          X