Prediction File Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prediction File Size

I am considering using the SmartDisk DLL SDK to monitor some hard drives, but I am concerned about the size of the prediction file. Does anyone have a feel for how fast the file grows (bytes/sample)? I would also be curious to know if there is a way to trim off older sample when the file size get too large. There doesn't seem to be a way to trim the file in the SDK, so trimming it would require some intimate knowledge of the file structure. Anbybody have any ideas?

The size per sample is less then half a kilobyte.

The TEC data recording is mostly designed for long term trend analysis and isn't expected to need more than 1 or 2 samples a day, meaning this file should likely never grow to an unmanageable size within the life of the drive. As such we never saw a need to be able to trim it.

If you need more robust/detailed logging mechanism (per minute temperature log perhaps) it's recommended that you write your own data export function rather than using the in built one.

Comment

Sorry about the long delay between posts, but I was pulled over to another project for a while. It is good to know that the file size will not be an issue with infrequent sampling. Is there a way to delete the prediction file? This will be used primarily during development when it would be desirable to have the sample closer together.

Comment

There is no inbuilt functionality to delete the file, however there is no special procedure that needs to be followed to cleanly remove the file. Merely deleting the .bin file, either manually or through code, will work just fine.

The .bin file is created in the same location as your executable and named after the hard drives serial number.

Comment

That sounds simple. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X