DiskCheckup V3.0 (Build 1001) Icon problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiskCheckup V3.0 (Build 1001) Icon problem

The program is working great. I can even get smart data from 2 of my three external drives! Good job! I seem to have a problem with the DiskCheckup program launch icons created in the start menu. They are not the correct icons but the generic icon's with that look like a piece of paper with the corner folded over. I have tried reinstalling the program several times with no success. I even tried installing by right click "run as admin" but that changes nothing. I also re-downloaded the installer, same problem. Some times after the install the icons are correct but after a reboot or two they go AFK. BTW the desk top icon always looks as it should. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with all windows updates as of August 3rd 2010.

Thanks
    Bill
    Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Strange. The desktop icon is just a link to the executable.
    Can you browse to the install folder,
    C:\Program Files (x86)\DiskCheckup
    and see what the executable icon looks like in the folder at various display sizes.

Looks OK on the desktop on the machines we have here.

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
      Strange. The desktop icon is just a link to the executable.
      Can you browse to the install folder,
      C:\Program Files (x86)\DiskCheckup
      and see what the executable icon looks like in the folder at various display sizes.

Looks OK on the desktop on the machines we have here.
      The desktop icon looks fine its the start menu icons that launch DiskCheckup that are the problem.

Yes the icon looks correct in the programs directory. One thing that could be related is this program needs to be ok'd by UAC each time its run. All programs that need to be ok'd by UAC have a shield shown over the default icon. I would guess windows 7 must take the original icon and modify or replace it with a copy of the icon with a shield.

I have several utilities that I must authorize but DiskCheck is the only one that does not have the correct icon. PerformanceTest 7 is an example. I have seen similar things happen in the past if I move shortcuts around in the start menu. AKA a programs shortcut that requires UAC to run ends up a default icon if moved in the start menu. I have reproduced this on several windows 7 PC's and if I remember correctly this can happen in Vista also. Seems if you move a program shortcut that has the UAC shield it will break the icon. Note I have not ever moved any thing related to DiskCheckup.

Are your PC's running Win 7 64 bit with UAC enabled?

I forgot to tell you the shortcuts do function correctly its just the icons are incorrect.

Bill
      Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

We tested this on Win7 64bit and didn't see the problem.

Doing a bit of Googling turn up lots of people complaining about this with all kinds of different applications.

A lot of them suggested rebuilding the icon cache.
        http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...4-53112355dcfb

Comment

We tested this on Win7 64bit and didn't see the problem.

Doing a bit of Googling turn up lots of people complaining about this with all kinds of different applications.

A lot of them suggested rebuilding the icon cache.
          http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...4-53112355dcfb
          I gave the fix a shot and it fixes nothing. In fact after performing the fix if I look at DiskCheckup.exe its icon is now broken. Just for fun I copied the Diskcheckup program directory from Program files x86 to the root of c and the programs icon looks fine. If I create shortcuts to the program they also look as they should. To me it sounds like a rights issue as program files x86 directory is locked down tight by default in windows 7 but the root of c is not. Is it a windows problem or a DiskCheckup installer problem? I have no clue.

Bill

Comment

I don't think it can be folder permissions. The icon information is stored in the resource section of the .exe. If you can copy the file, then you have read access to the file. Which is enough to get the icon details. Also if it was file permissions, it would always be wrong. Not just some of the time after a reboot.

It also can't be in our code. As no code execution is done in DiskCheckup in getting the icon details. In other words you don't need to execute the .exe file in order to see the icon.

So the next most likely possibility is something wrong with the icons we include in the .exe file. Maybe in combination with something special on your system. It can't be too wrong as it works on our test systems however.

Looking at what icons we included, we have done something a bit different from PerformanceTest. In DiskCheckup we have just 32bit colour depth icons. In PerformanceTest we also included low colour 8bit versions as well.

I assume you are running at 32bit colour and not something less than this (e.g. maybe on a virtual machine with reduced 16bit colour)?

Comment

I don't think it can be folder permissions. The icon information is stored in the resource section of the .exe. If you can copy the file, then you have read access to the file. Which is enough to get the icon details. Also if it was file permissions, it would always be wrong. Not just some of the time after a reboot.

It also can't be in our code. As no code execution is done in DiskCheckup in getting the icon details. In other words you don't need to execute the .exe file in order to see the icon.

So the next most likely possibility is something wrong with the icons we include in the .exe file. Maybe in combination with something special on your system. It can't be too wrong as it works on our test systems however.

Looking at what icons we included, we have done something a bit different from PerformanceTest. In DiskCheckup we have just 32bit colour depth icons. In PerformanceTest we also included low colour 8bit versions as well.

I assume you are running at 32bit colour and not something less than this (e.g. maybe on a virtual machine with reduced 16bit colour)?
              Yes I'm running 1440x900 32 bit color and no VM. I'm going to install DiskCheckup on another Windows 7 64 bit PC and see what happens.

Bill

Comment

Update: I installed build 1002 released today and the icons are correct.
                Were there any changes in the installer setup or did my PC fix it self?
                Either way its fixed so I'm happy.

Bill

Comment

We didn't (deliberately) change anything concerning the icons or the installer. The only change was to fix this bug.

Comment

Working...
                  X