DiskCheckup minimize to system tray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiskCheckup minimize to system tray?

DiskCheckup version 3 build 1002. How is the minimize to system tray function suppose to work? Enabling it in configuration seems to do nothing at all as DiskCheckup still launches on screen. Windows 7 64 bit. I was hoping to use task scheduler to launch DiskCheckup on startup minimized.

Bill
    Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

The minimise to system tray check box only effects the action when the program is minimised. It either goes to the task bar, or the tray. It doesn't effect the way the program is launched.

But there is an option in Windows for what you want. If you right click on the desktop shortcut, select properties, you can select to run the program in a normal window or minimised.

Comment

Since DC needs UAC authorization to run I'm trying to use Task Scheduler to launch DC. I see no way to start DC minimized using Task Scheduler. DC's lack of a launch minimized function and no built in way of launching DC on startup limit the usefulness of the program IMO.

Bill
      Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

There isn't anything we can do about UAC. If we want to perform certain actions then the O/S forces UAC.

Having a program launch at boot is just a matter of putting a shortcut in the Windows startup folder.

I haven't tested it but you should be able to schedule a shortcut to run, then set the properties on the short cut to run minimised.

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
          There isn't anything we can do about UAC. If we want to perform certain actions then the O/S forces UAC.

Having a program launch at boot is just a matter of putting a shortcut in the Windows startup folder.

I haven't tested it but you should be able to schedule a shortcut to run, then set the properties on the short cut to run minimised.

Well I do not know how software companies are getting around UAC prompts but many are. Maybe they pay MS a bunch of money? The only way I have found to auto launch a program that requires a UAC prompt to run is to use task scheduler to run the program with admin rights by checking "run with highest privileges" in the schedule settings. This works great if the program I want to run has an option or command line switch to start it minimized.

Bill
          Last edited by wonderwrench; Aug-17-2010, 12:37 AM.

Comment

The recommended way to get around the UAC prompt (in my limited investigation of the issue) is that the software needs to split itself into 2 parts.

Part 1 is the application part that doesn't require elevated admin access, and part 2 is the part that required elevated admin access. For the 2nd part they restructure the software to be a service that gets permanently installed into the Windows service list. UAC doesn't apply to services, they have a different security model. Then you define a new API interface between the application level software and the background service so they can talk to each other. Needless to say this a bunch of work we haven't done.

The consequence of this is 2 part approach that you must install the software and install it as elevated admin. You can't run it direct from a USB drive for example, without doing an install on the machine.

Comment

Can you add the ability to launch DC minimized in the options or a command line switch? If so I can get around UAC by using task scheduler. Disabling UAC is not a good option IMO. DC's TEC function is of little use in Vista/W7 because the program can't be launched by adding it to run. I tried it and nothing happens no UAC prompt after a reboot and DiskCheck.exe was not running. BTW I use task scheduler to launch Speedfan on startup on both of my windows 7 PC's. Speedfan has the option to start minimized.

Thanks
              Bill

Comment

I tried setting task scheduler to use a shortcut I made to launch DC. The shortcut properties were set to launch DC minimized but when the task is run DC starts in normal windowed mode. Manually clicking on the shortcut does start DC minimized.

Bill

Comment

We are looking at maybe doing a new patch release. In particular for authenticated Email. But not sure how hard this is to implement yet.

But while poking around in the code it seems there is an undocumented -m flag for minimise. We might have put it in years back and forgotten.

Comment

We have just released build 1003, and have documented this flag.

Comment

We have just released build 1003, and have documented this flag.
                      The -m flag works perfect with task scheduler in windows 7 64!
                      Passmark Rocks!

Bill

Comment

Working...
                      X