Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7

Hey guys, so im currently building a new computer from scratch for my cousin but i am a little skeptical as to which version of windows 7 home premium to buy. I know that the windows 7 home premium Upgrade is for computers that have some version of windows already installed, and is simply an upgrade. But which version do i get for a brand new hard drive?

Is it this one? : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116754

Or this one?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116716

Thanks fellas!

I would think the OEM version would only be sold with a new computer. But who knows if they enforce this.

Comment

The system builder version can be used if building a new system and saves a fair amount of money. The only down side is once installed and activated it is locked to the system it is installed on. So if he wants to build another new system down the road he will have to buy another copy of windows. Upgrade and full versions do not have this limitation. You can only have it installed on one PC at a time but you can change PC's any time you want. The upgrade version requires you have a previous XP/Vista license for the PC its to be installed on.

Bill
      Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by wonderwrench View Post
        The system builder version can be used if building a new system and saves a fair amount of money. The only down side is once installed and activated it is locked to the system it is installed on. So if he wants to build another new system down the road he will have to buy another copy of windows. Upgrade and full versions do not have this limitation. You can only have it installed on one PC at a time but you can change PC's any time you want. The upgrade version requires you have a previous XP/Vista license for the PC its to be installed on.

Bill
        What do you mean by "you can change PC's any time you want" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Costa23 View Post
          What do you mean by "you can change PC's any time you want" ?
          Say you have a full retail copy of Windows 7. You install it on a PC but later decide you want to install it on a different PC. You can install the same retail copy of Windows 7 to the new PC as long as its removed from the old PC. This can be done over and over as many times as you like. Note you may need to call MS to get it done but it is within the rules the licensing agreement. With a system builder version you can't do this because the licensing agreement does not allow it. Once Windows is activated its locked to the system it was installed on.
          Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Working...
          X