CPU for running Revit MEP 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU for running Revit MEP 2011

Does anyone here use Revit MEP? I'm using this program at work and it's very slow. AutoCAD runs very fast on the same system....Revit just seems to be a hog. I'm trying to find out what CPU would be best for running Revit MEP.

Thank you!

I quick look on the web seems to indicate that the most critical factor for Revit is the CPU, followed by RAM Qty and speed.

So the Core i7 970 or 980x would be good. Add Windows 64bit with > 8GB RAM and a SSD and you should be good.

See also,
    http://revitinfo.com/Revit_Forum/Entry_Details/EntryID/301/Computer-Benchmarking-Performance-for-Revit-AUbench-2011.aspx

Comment

After posting my question about Revit here, I found this recommended processor posted on Autodesk's website:

"Quad Core Intel® Xeon® Processor (2.50 GHz, 2X6M L2, 1333)"

There are so many different models though....how do I know which one to choose from?

Thank you!

Comment

Unless you are going to put more than 1 CPU in the box, or use ECC RAM, then there is no good reason to buy a Xeon chip over an i7.

Comment

If the business that I work for purchases a HP Xeon Quad Core Workstation, can we install a second processor at a later date then having 2 Quad Core Processors?? If so, can this be done on any model of the workstation that comes with a Xeon QC processor? If such an upgrade is possible, would we have to purchase a second video card as well?

Comment

You can have 2 (or more) CPUs without having multiple video cards.

Only some Xeon compatible motherboards have extra CPU sockets that allow more than 1 CPU. So check the MB specs if you think you might want to do this.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X