Maximum CPU Temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum CPU Temp

Hello I just bought a new Dell laptop i5 and downloaded Burnin to put it through it's paces I had a problem with the CPU overheating I believe and randomly shutting down, so I'm trying to run the maximum CPU temperature test.

I went into Test Preferences and check the maximum heat I then ran the program but the only thing I saw was that it passed with cycles operations and errors there was no mention of the actual heat. I did see I think some mention of administrative privileges but I don't remember setting up an administrator so I'm lost in terms of what to do to get that actual max temp. Thanks seem like a good program I actually used it many years ago but I do find the setup a little confusing. Hope I posted this in the correct location.

Tom j.

When you select only the maximum CPU heat test then this runs CPU tests aimed at rasing the CPU temperature.

To also display the temperature you need to run BurnInTest with Administrator privleges ("Run as administrator") and also select Preferences->Temperature, Select BurnInTest and select a CPU Temperature source.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian (PassMark) View Post
      When you select only the maximum CPU heat test then this runs CPU tests aimed at rasing the CPU temperature.

To also display the temperature you need to run BurnInTest with Administrator privleges ("Run as administrator") and also select Preferences->Temperature, Select BurnInTest and select a CPU Temperature source.
      Thanks I think I understand now when to start the program I see "Run As Administrator" I just purchased this computer what does this actually mean when you run a program in this mode I've never used this aspect of Windows before. Thanks

Tom j.

Comment

You can find details of User Access Control (of which the Run as Admin command is part) here,
        http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ccount-Control
        and here,
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

And more technical information here,
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx

Comment

Thing I don't understand is why you would need administrative privileges just to view the CPU temps??? Well I ran the program as the administrator and I actually saw the low medium and high temps displayed as the tests were being run. The high was 80c the max temp for this processor is 105c would you think that's normal I might have a CPU over heating problem on this machine, but this temp range seems reasonable. The resting temp under a very small load according to Core Temp is 44, and 51.

Now the only thing is after the test the temps are not displayed only during the test is this the way the program is suppose to work? I would have really like to print it out possibly to send to Dell. Thanks

Tom j.

Comment

80C does seem pretty hot. The 105C measure (value specific to the CPU model) would typically be the temperature that the CPU would shut itself down. If the system fails when you run the maximum CPU heat test, then CPU heat is most likely the problem, otherwise it may be a different problem.

Overheating can be due to a number of factors: fans (insufficient, not working, too slow, full of dust (older systems)) or CPU settings (e.g if settings like Cool and Quiet are disabled or not working then the system won't lower its power state when not under load and will run hotter), faulty CPU or system design.

The temps are displayed only during testing. These will be logged at the end of the test in a log file. To get the temperature logged during the test, specify Preferneces->Logging, interim periodic logging of 1 mintue and the temperature will be logged every 1 minute.

To investigate random system shutdowns, I would turn off automatic system restart so your can see any Blue Screen of Death if for example it is a device driver failure.
            Control Panel->System->Advanced system settings->Startup and recovery Settings->Uncheck System failure automatically restart.

I would report the symptoms of the problem to Dell.

Comment

Thing I don't understand is why you would need administrative privileges just to view the CPU temps?
              This is the way Microsoft designed the newer versions of Windows. Even copying files in folders like the Program Files folder requires you to be admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian (PassMark) View Post
                80C does seem pretty hot. The 105C measure (value specific to the CPU model) would typically be the temperature that the CPU would shut itself down. If the system fails when you run the maximum CPU heat test, then CPU heat is most likely the problem, otherwise it may be a different problem.

Overheating can be due to a number of factors: fans (insufficient, not working, too slow, full of dust (older systems)) or CPU settings (e.g if settings like Cool and Quiet are disabled or not working then the system won't lower its power state when not under load and will run hotter), faulty CPU or system design.

The temps are displayed only during testing. These will be logged at the end of the test in a log file. To get the temperature logged during the test, specify Preferneces->Logging, interim periodic logging of 1 mintue and the temperature will be logged every 1 minute.

To investigate random system shutdowns, I would turn off automatic system restart so your can see any Blue Screen of Death if for example it is a device driver failure.
                Control Panel->System->Advanced system settings->Startup and recovery Settings->Uncheck System failure automatically restart.

I would report the symptoms of the problem to Dell.
                Hi yeah you've been the most help so far thanks!!!! Let me go over everything and I'll gt back. Say I did contact Dell and finally got someone familiar with the problem he said it was probably a bios problem and did an upgrade remotely. This machine is only 3 days old so no dirt or dust, also read of others having this problem on Dells website and it was either the Bios or Motherboard.

Well since the bios upgrade the temps appear lower now they are at 43-45c how does that sound? Think any damage was done to the CPU or motherboard when it shut down due to the over heating.

Tom j.

Comment

Well the bios didn't solve the problem after all so they think it's actually a motherboard problem, luckily it's under warrenty so it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks

Tom

Comment

Maybe the CPU heatsink was not connected correctly, or the fan broken (if there is a fan in this unit)

Comment

Working...
                    X